1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need to buy to set up a decent DTS/Dolby Digital/Pro Logic II home cinema??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by INS_tha_rebel, May 5, 2005.

1. INS_tha_rebel

INS_tha_rebel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to invest in a home cinema system for DVDs. I want to be able to play full DTS/Dolby Digital etc and I'm wondering what speaker set upand cables I should invest in?

I can probably spend £500 odd.

Thanks guys and sorry for being clueless

2. INS_tha_rebel

INS_tha_rebel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also my dvd player (Panasonic DMR-E55) has component video but my tv doesn't. I've seen recievers with s-video and component connections so does this mean I can go component from dvd to reciever so I can watch on my tv?

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    answering your second question, on lower priced amps such as yamaha 650 etc you rarely get video upconversion, ie if you put s video in the amp, it is simply passed through to the s video output, and not through the composite or component outputs.

On higher priced amps such as yamaha 750 upwards (i think) they upconvert composite>s video>component and vice versa.

Even if the amp you got could change component to s video, you'd be better off, most of the time, using a high quality scart instead, as RGB is, on most screens, better than s video (and standard component is only slightly better than RGB)