What do I need to build a proper home cinema

knypo

Novice Member
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to build a proper system which will let me to recive and decode surround sound from Netflix, Amazon and Apple TV. I'll have projector and tv and I would like to have same sound with both of them. I thought best solution would be Xiaomi Mi TV Box S 4K but I read on forums that it has no Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD pass through (only DD and DTS) which could be decoded in amplifier. I'm not sure about Apple TV 4K Box but in this case how would I send audio to my amplifier - Apple Box has no optical out?

Does anyone got any idea what are other solutions for my needs?

To summarize:
*I'll have two video recievers: projector and tv
*I'll have amplifier for decoding multichannel audio
*I'll mainly use streaming services and I'd like to have proper surround sound
*I need something which will allow sending video to projector, tv and passthrough audio to amplifier

Thx in advance.

razy60

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to build a proper system which will let me to recive and decode surround sound from Netflix, Amazon and Apple TV. I'll have projector and tv and I would like to have same sound with both of them. I thought best solution would be Xiaomi Mi TV Box S 4K but I read on forums that it has no Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD pass through (only DD and DTS) which could be decoded in amplifier. I'm not sure about Apple TV 4K Box but in this case how would I send audio to my amplifier - Apple Box has no optical out?

Does anyone got any idea what are other solutions for my needs?

To summarize:
*I'll have two video recievers: projector and tv
*I'll have amplifier for decoding multichannel audio
*I'll mainly use streaming services and I'd like to have proper surround sound
*I need something which will allow sending video to projector, tv and passthrough audio to amplifier

Thx in advance.
First up hi and welcome,
You may get asked a whole bunch more questions but to start with, you'll be looking at something like.
2xdisplay, TV & PJ
1x AV amp with multiple in and out HDMI.
Speakers.
Streaming box, either a Nvidia shield, ATV4k or Android based box.
Apart from speakers all the rest require is power and HDMI, so HDMI from player to amp-HDMI from amp to displays.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Note that streaming apps don't have HD audio formats such as DTS-HD MA, TrueHD etc.
They use a lossy version of Atmos based on Dolby Digital +

Only Bluray and 4K UHD discs have HD audio formats.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you are coming from a system doesn't have surround sound, then even the streaming solutions will bring something new. Yes, you may not be able to hear DTS-MA or TrueHD, but that's why you should always put in previsions for a stand alone player to.

As has been mentioned, you'll get asked a load of questions and budget matters when starting out if you haven't got anything at all.

Not all projectors fit all rooms either, so look for one with a zoom and lens shift. As has been mentioned, AV receivers sometimes have dual HDMI outputs and this is ideal for room where a TV and projector are situated.

With the cabling, if you are settling on a HD projector, almost any good quality HDMI cable will work (this doesn't always mean expensive either). Do not fasten down the HDMI cable to the projector if you are hiding it in the ceiling as they can fail to (this means make it free when you pull it, because if it breaks, it easier to replace by fixing the new cable to the old one and then pulling it through). Do you homework on cabling if you are going down 4k as not all cables are equal, so see what others are using for the distance you require for that chosen projector

When placing the speakers, figure out which seat is the "main listening position" (MLP) plus look at Dolby's website to get an idea of where the speakers need to be placed.

Remember adding under powered products in a large room will create long term issues (it'll be like a supercar with a motorbike engine in it, it might look cool, but it'll be naff and under powered), try to avoid one box solutions where possible to as if one of the items fails, then usually it means it's all failed

The obvious you will be asked is size of room, seating position and expected screen size? To have an idea of what feels right on screen size, use a white double bed sheet and pin it to the wall at a screen sizes you have in mind (it only needs to be close measurement), then find a folding chair and place it where the "MLP" and see if it feels to big or small, then alter it until you find the size that feels right. Measure it and look at a screen similar to that size. This will then give you your first projection measurement (throw ratio) as you have the room length and screen width. From these, you should be able to work out how long the HDMI cable will need to be (so long as you have already thought of where the av receiver will live). From there, you have speaker cable lengths and subwoofer cable lengths if you follow the Dolby link above for speaker placements around the "MLP"

The main thing to remember is that long term, HDMI cables can fail, so place the provision for a replacement today will save you a small fortune later, the system is designed around the "MLP" and don't use speakers or an av receiver which isn't good enough for the room size as it will disappoint you. If budget your budget is tight, then you can delay buying all the speakers and woofer at once, this will give you a much better system long term to

One last thing, don't make the room cold (with this I mean lots of hard surfaces) as this will upset the balance of the speakers creating unwanted reflections in the room which will be a nightmare to control, so remember to place carpets, settees, etc...

I hope that helps you figure out how to build a proper home cinema

knypo

Novice Member
Wow thx for such a huge answers and advices Guys. So basically I need amplifier with 2xhdmi outputs - one for projector other for tv. The only thing I'm not sure about is which streaming device should I pick. Sloppy Bob wrote that streaming services doesn't send HD formats so do You think Xiaomi Mi TV Box S 4K would be fine with atmos (or other PCM 7.1, 5.1)? Or maybe I should choose AppleTV 4k or Nvidia Shield? What do You guys think, what would You pick?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom