1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need to begin to copy from camcorder to DVD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by jackpot, Feb 2, 2005.

1. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got a digital camcorder and a fast and powerful PC with Fire wire in.
    Trouble is i dont know where to begin.
    I want to be able to transfer film to my HD, edit it and then burn to DVD to be able to watch on a standalone DVD player.

Can anyone tell me what i need in terms of software and leads and anything else to be able to do this

many thanks

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your fast and powerful computer also has Win XP on it then you will have the software you need in the shape of Microsoft Moviemaker. The only hardware you need is a firewire cable - obtainable in all good video stores as they say - you will need a 4 pin (at camera) to 6 pin (at PC) lead and these are just about the standard every one stocks.

To get you started - read - read and read some more - but most of all read the many many threads on these forums all covering the same topic.

If you find you have specific problems then please come back and post it here - there is a very good chance that someone will know the answer.

3. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply
    I've just had a look at movie maker. Seems quite straightforward except that it talks about copying onto recordable CD's which are only 650mb and only playable on PC's. How do I go about copying the recording onto a DVD-R for playing in a DVD player

thanks again

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - the only downside to MovieMaker is that it will not produce DVDs and the CDs it produces will only play on a computer, BUT - what it will do after you have finished editing is produce a DV-AVI file which you then import into another programme, such as Nero, Roxio or any programme which might have been supplied with your DVD burner and then you can create a DVD.

If you want some help with MovieMaker a very good website for that is :-

http://www.papajohn.org

5. daves2005

daves2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .... it's my first post. I use Pinnacle Studio 9. It's cheap, easy to use and does the job. You'll need a DVD writer in your pc of course.
    There may be better, cheaper solutions, but this is one I have used and know it works without the requirement of a giant brain........

6. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I transfer video footage from camcorder to PC using firewire.
    Using moviewmaker or pinnacle I edit and then save it as a project
    I then open up nero. Add the project and burn to DVD
    Thats it??

I'm looking around all the different threads.
    Terms such as encoders, Authoring, MPEG2 converters.
    Where do these fit into the process.

Thanks

7. daves2005

daves2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .....it's easier than that - no need for nero or any other dvd burning software. It's all done in Pinnacle. Like I said before it's almost idiot proof.
    You capture with Pinnacle and it will automatically chop the video into sections depending on video content if you set it like that. Drag and drop the section (scenes) onto a timeline, create titles and even a menu, then when you are satisfied it renders it. This bit takes time depending on the spec of your pc. When that's done it will burn the dvd for you.
    Like I said it may not suit everyone, but it worked for me.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Don't get too worried about knowing all the terms used in editing and DVD creation at the moment. This will all fit into place as you get going.
    To get you started though I'll explain a few of those you mentioned:

An 'Encoder' is a program that changes the format of a file, and often compresses it (makes it smaller).
    'Authoring' is the process of getting the AVI files you have captured and edited, putting them through an encoder, adding a menu & chapters and then burning the output to create a DVD (or VCD etc).
    'MPEG-2' is the compressed file format used on a VCD. A DVD has MPEG-3 files that are higher quality/less compressed and therefore bigger.

A good DVD creation program, such as contained withing the Pinnacle Studio editing package or a dedicated authoring program such as Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 will do all the work needed to get the edited files onto a DVD that can be played in a standard DVD player.

Mark.

9. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    smashing
    thanks for your replies. Guess its have a go time

10. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one other question
    Do i need a capture card in the PC or does the use of a fire wire cable do all that?

11. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - the firewire does all that

12. jackpot

jackpot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks
    so now to buy the software for editing/authoring
    Daves2005 suggested Pinnacle as it does the lot but reading threads on this forum suggests its unstable and prone to crashing. So for editing there is Sony Vegas5, ulead video studio and Premier. For authoring there is Ulead DVD workshop, Sony Vegas+DVD and Adobe Encore

My question is this. Other than Pinnacle, if I buy any of the above products do I have to buy both the Editing software and the Authoring software or will the editing do the lot as Pinnacle does
    thanks

13. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sony Vegas5 is purely an editing program. Vegas+DVD is actually two programs that are intergrated. (Vegas 5 and DVD arcitect) Wonderfully powerful programs and even more wonderfully expensive. Trial downloads are available of this.
    Ulead DVD workshop will also produce DVDs, dunno about the others.

14. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. ralpher

ralpher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting thread. Just wondered about download file types. Downloaded some MiniDV footage from Sony camcorder using a Sonic app. It asked me whether I wanted .avi or .mpeg. I selected avi. Have since read that generally better quality obtained from MPEG format.

Upon trial playback on PC having done nothing to the footage, it appeared to be ok apart from looking like it is running in slow motion for part of the time then catches up. Do you think i have bodged the download?

Want to convert to DVD and will be using Adobe Encore, but don't want to start until I know the raw file is good quality. Size of file is about 7GB.

Any thoughts?
    Cheers

16. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes certainly .avi is the best format for capturing and editing even though what you actually burn to DVD are basically mpeg-2 files - but you usually let your software programme take care of the final conversion.

Does sound as though you didn't have a setting somewhere quite right when you captured or your computer is experiencing resource problems - don't know any Sony apps I'm afraid so I can't give you specific help with it - as a general rule make sure nothing else is running on your PC while capturing and disconnect completely from the internet.

17. ralpher

ralpher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Beejaycee, I'll give it another crack.