1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need?? Help!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by james_19742000, Oct 13, 2005.

1. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    OK here goes, not really sure what I need, but we are redecorating soon and we have a Hitachi 42PD5200 plasma with componant and DVi inputs, we also have a DVD player, a VCR, Sky and a Hifi system, we want to be able to run all teh cables into one box and then upto the plasam, presume via DVI or componant? We also want to have a new set of surround speakers that would go into the box, I presume the box I am talking about would be an amp or receiver?? Have to excuse me I am a bit of a techie novice, so any help would be appreciated, items are at the moment a Sony DVD player but keen on replacing that with a Denon 1920, also we need to buy a cheap VCR as the kids have hundreds of Disney Videos and cant justify the expense of changing them to DVD so that needs to stay, also what woudl the new box actually have and what woudl I feed to it etc etc please??

As for a budget I really have no idea, but I expect the maximum would be no more than about £700 for the box and new speakers?

Can anyone help me??

Thanks, James.

2. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well it sounds like you need an upscaling AV eceiver which can take multiple input signals and output them as component. The Denon AVR-2805 does this (I know as I just bought one) and I did see a couple in the classifieds here going for around 400-450 quid. There are other receivers of course that upconvert to component outputs but I could not list them all for you. Jsut mentioning what I know thats all.

Speaker wise I'm not really sure I'm afraid. Depends if you need "wife friendly" small speakers or if you would prefer floor standers? You could have a look somewhere like http://www.hifistore.co.uk/category.php?qsCat=AVSPKPACK2 for a bit of an idea perhaps?

Hope that gives you somethign to think about..

Dave

3. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ok Dave, thanks for the advice, I will probably need wife friendly speakers, so the Denon you mention that will take the imputs from the DVD, Sky and VCr will it? And I presume will upscale the DVD signal to what the Hitachi can display via compnionant will it???

Thanks, James.

4. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yeah but the denon has no scarts so you would need to use svideo or composite or component from your conencting items.

I bought some Anthony Gallo speakers which are very wife friendly but they are lordy expensive for the size of speaker.

I am not sure the Denon will upscale to 720p - I think it will jsut upscale the signal itself to component. If you want to upscale the resolution then I think you would need either an upscaling player with component output, or you could jsut let the TV do it as I'd imagine the TV can upscale to HD resolutions itself?