1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need for my plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lord-diass, Mar 12, 2005.

1. lord-diass

lord-diass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am after buying the Pana PW7B (seems like it is a popular choice). What I need to know is whether I need an additional board or not.

I have Sky+, a DVD Player, Video and 5.1 Amp. At the moment, the SKy+ and DVD Player use the SCART in the TV, and the video connects via the Sky+ box. I think the DVD is plugged into the RGB one (although I can't be certain)

With this same setup, do I need, or am I better with an external unit, and if so, which one would be best suited?

Cheers

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Does your DVD player have component outputs (red, green and blue phono sockets, labelled YUV or YCbCr)? If it does I would recommend getting a component board for the plasma.

The best picture quality from the Sky+ box comes from converting the RGB to VGA through a J S Technology converter (see my sig for details). If the DVD doesn't offer component out you can daisy chain the rgb scart output from the DVD through the Sky+ box.

The video is very unlikely to offer RGB out (only a handful of very upmarket VCRs did so).Can it output S-video, either via scart or via a mini DIN plug?

3. lord-diass

lord-diass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey - thanks for the prompt response piers. my current DVD player does not have component outputs, but I am in the market for a DVD player that supports DivX, preferably with network connectivity, such a Kiss, so I will make sure it has the component outputs (can you recommend any?). The Sky+ and Video can still piggy back Scart with the component board i take it?

Also, IYHO os the 7B the one to go for? I don't think HDTV is something that will be around for a while, so an upgrade later would be fine.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    USe compoennt for DVD the Kiss is the only one with network ability as far as i know but there are loads that play Divx, Pioneer 575 etc for Sky+ you can use the panny scart board(not great PQ) but can piggy back VCR, for better PQ from sky you can use a JS RGB>VGA converter to built in VGA port, JS RGB>YUV (component) converter to component card......(JS cobverter wont work with VCR)....cheapest option to connect all 3 may be to buy a Panny PT600 Tuner box £150-200 second hand (see classifieds), has 3 scart and component (2 RGB scarts) but seperate boards are better PQ........hope this helps

5. lord-diass

lord-diass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I have it now ;)

I have a deal, which is the 37" pw7b for 1058, inc. the scart board, which I may be able to get them to change to a component board, then I can fill the other slot with a scart board for around 80 nicker. all I then need to worry about is the component DVD player. you mention JS RGB-VGA cable, where would I get one from (or are we talking avsales ;)

Cheers for help guys

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    AV-sales sell them, can but from JS direct Piers stocks them if you are local to him.....loads of places!!!!!

7. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    can anyone tell me how much difference there is between the tunerbox and a component box ? and is there a big difference between the tunerbox and the SCART box too ? I read that the SCART box ain't that good. How much are a single component board and a single SCART board approx. in the UK ?