1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need for Euro1080 and Sky Digital?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by NaTT, Jul 11, 2004.

1. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hello there. I'm about to move house and am playing shopping lists to go with the plasma I'm going to be allowed after we move.

I'll be getting a Pioneer 434MXE-1s (high def plasma), with DVI input. I already have a HCPC.

To the question then. I've never had sky before now (only NTL: digital) and having read What Satellite I'm still v confused.
    I'd like to to get Digital Satellite TV (Sky plus isn't a must), with a reciever that is or can be SDI modded, and can receive Euro1080.
    What dish/box to I need to do this are there any standard packages and installs for this?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I don't think any of the SKY standard digiboxes can be SDI modified, I belive only the original SKY+ has that option, I've certainly never seen the mod mentioned with anyother SKY hardware.
    Nothing SKY provides can access EURO1080, you will need not only another satellite feed (SKY and EURO1080 are on different satellites) but also a dedicated HD STB or suitable PC alternative.

Visit the SKY Website for more information on the current offers for new subscribers, offers change fairly often.

Your best bet would be to contact a local CAI member who can not only supply SKY authorised hardware but also additional satellite hardware for your HD needs.

3. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    thanks Starburst, there's a CAI member shop near me so I'll do that.

I was kind of expexting seperate boxes (or a PCI card for the Euro1080), but does anyone know if there's a single dish for the 2 box solution?
    I just don't want to be jumping in with a mini dish only to find I'd have been better off with an "X" dish that could do me for a Euro box later.
    Again I expect I'll need to go to a dealer...

If it isn't 2 boxes but Sky Digital and a PCI card for my HTPC, which card would I need? do they take CAMs? and how do you split the feed from a single dish? :confused:

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A single dish can indeed be used to receive both SKY (28.2 degrees) and EURO1080 (19.2 degrees), something in the region of 80cm with two seperate LNB's feeding each receiver. With a big enough dish there is enough signal being pulled it to feed at least one LNB that isn't placed in what would usually be consider the focal point of the dish.
    Back in the analogue days I had two LNB's on a 80cm dish for Astra1 and Hotbird, your requirments are pretty similar.
    A dealer will be the best option, SKY will not do anything like that.

I'm positive as the thread is read by more people who have a similar setup will fill in any specifics in regards to PC cards and CAMS for EURO1080:)

5. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    NaTT, at the moment the only PCI card I know of is the Hauppauge Win TV nova CI ( made and also sold by TechnoTrend as 'budget line'). It takes a CAM (Irdeto 2 required for Euro 1080). I am using the Hauppauge version with success. Technisat are promising a CI solution sometime in the future but I doubt it will be ready for Sept 1st.

Jim

6. pietnoeck

pietnoeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Patience !!!
    Such box doesn't exit and won't in the near future

7. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I emailed Technisat, and the 1st reply stated July, and when I emailed for an update, the reply was the end of the year.

I had also been emailing Euro1080, and out of the blue, I got an email from them offering the card for 200 euros, with an expiry date of 2010. So I emailed them explaining that PC owners are restricted by the lack of HD compatible software that also supports encryption. The reply was they are working with Hauppauge and ShowShifter to remedy this.

They are looking at putting together a package deal consisting of :- PCI Sat Card, CI Card, Irdeto CAM, Euro1080 card and software. I asked them to email me when they are ready to make this offer.

I realize there is software available, but they said there was various improvements that could be done.

8. rombrero

rombrero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can give a few comments on what you want with Euro1080 and your HCPC.

What you have to realize is that you wil get the best picture quality if you
    use the dvi input for euro1080 (and do this native 1024x768)

The only problem with the pioneer plasma is that it has rectangular pixels so if you want to take this route it is going to be difficult because you have to work with ffdshow and progdvb.(or mytheatre) in order to correct the aspect ratio (the picture will be horizontally stretched if you do nothing)

In a few days time when my HDCP is ready i will try this with my 433MXE.
    My HDCP will have the wintv nova ci (the only official supported card that will work for encrypted Euro1080)