What do I need for catch-up and YouTube?

momist

Standard Member
Hi, Can anyone please help out a senior newbie who doesn't know what he's doing? :lease:

I'm due to replace my old TV (CRT!) which is used mainly for Freeview stuff off the Topfield. We also have a Wii (I never use it) which is capable of showing the BBC iPlayer, but not much else.

It seems that all the small screen tellys have limited smart functions, and anyway once it fails you've lost the lot. So I think I need a box of some sort that will let us watch the other catch-up channels, and maybe youtube and such, on the new telly. I already have unlimited (?!) broadband and a wireless router, so this shouldn't be too hard. The pc runs Linux, and I suppose I could stream something from that.

Most of the discussion on here goes straight over my head, with bitrates, 3D, bluray, Netflix and stuff I never use. Just what am I looking for, at not too much money?

TIA

Tboggie

Established Member
Hi, Can anyone please help out a senior newbie who doesn't know what he's doing? :lease:

I'm due to replace my old TV (CRT!) which is used mainly for Freeview stuff off the Topfield. We also have a Wii (I never use it) which is capable of showing the BBC iPlayer, but not much else.

It seems that all the small screen tellys have limited smart functions, and anyway once it fails you've lost the lot. So I think I need a box of some sort that will let us watch the other catch-up channels, and maybe youtube and such, on the new telly. I already have unlimited (?!) broadband and a wireless router, so this shouldn't be too hard. The pc runs Linux, and I suppose I could stream something from that.

Most of the discussion on here goes straight over my head, with bitrates, 3D, bluray, Netflix and stuff I never use. Just what am I looking for, at not too much money?

TIA

Download XBMC
Install Tvcatchup + youtube addons
Add both addons to your home page

mentm

Prominent Member
You need a gold account for the Xbox to use those services, so probably not the best value for money. Free option would be to use his pc and xbmc as suggested. A new tv may have some catch up services anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom