1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need and how much?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Oddbodd, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi all, I've been looking through some of your threads on HDTV via satellite and was wondering if you could give me a quick breakdown of what I would need and roughly how much it might cost to set myself up and subscribe to? At the momement I have Telewest cable (just the basic package) and I have been thinking about getting Sky+ and getting Telewest removed (not my broadband connection though, couldn't live without that :D ). I seem to remember an announcement recently from Sky saying they were going to start hi-def broadcasts but do you know how long will it be? Also what sort of channels/programmes are available at the momement?
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY are not planning a HD launch until 2006 and will consist of 7 channels, probably including a couple of PPV channels. A dedicated sports and movie channel are most likely with a general entertainment channel although they might attempt a HBO/Showtime style channel as well.

Right now the only satellite HD service that is anything like viable for domestic viewing is EURO 1080 who since lauch have had a clear HD channel showing a bit of music and sport, in September it will be renamed HD1 and encrypt with hopefully a much higher standard of programming.
    You will need a dish pointing at Astra1 (19.2 degrees) and a suitable HD receiver with the required CAM for the smartcard, a reputable satellite dealer can supply all of these but it ain't cheap. STB, smartcard and dish with installation will probably cost you the best part of £600. There are PC solutions as well combining a satellite card with suitable CAM, slightly cheaper if you have a PC equipped for Home Cinema use already.

Stating the bleeding obvious of course but you will also need a display capable or reproducing at the very least 720p images:)

There are good reasons why waiting for SKY to launch a HD service along with suitable STB and PVR solutions might be a good idea:)

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Where'd you get the detail that it's seven channels?

StooMonster

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I asked the same question to the guy in the Digital Spy forum who posted it and he pointed me towards a press release I seem to recall. It certainly seemed genuine, I'll have a search through the forum and try to find the link.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Just spent over an hour searching the DS forum and can find not trace of his reply or come to mention my posts on the subject.
    What can you do with a search engine that refuses to accept that certain words/phrases I know I used in the post are not listed :mad:

When it claims no one has used the word "seven" then you know you are in for a long session of searching!

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Are you sure you didn' dream it? ;)

Have you tried using Google to search DigitalSpy using the Site: command?

StooMonster

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Bingo :)

The number of channels was included in an Investor conference and was a seperate presentation to the one reported under the press release circulated by the main media.
    There was a link to BroadcastNow website but it's broken now and you need to be a subscriber to use the news archive.

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Was that as a result of Google's Site: command? I find it so useful, especially to search big sites; MSDN support told me they used it to search Microsoft databases. I also like Google's Define: command. :clap:

Last time I saw BROADCAST magazine was in the hands of Jim Moir (Vic Reeves) when he was sat next to me on a train; saw that Bob Mortimer in B&Q the other day too.

City folk like RAMiAM and my friends will know people who went to Investors' Conference and may be able to share more information about these seven channels.

StooMonster

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Excellent.
    Wouldn't mind some more details if the presentation went into the subject a little deeper. I was surprised that a figure had been arrived at, I am assuming the technology of the system is still only on paper and that would surely have an impact on how viable X amount of channels are.

10. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good for the UK. :smashin: It sounds like you guys are going to leapfrog the rest of Europe. I'm sure the French will be scrambling to catch up to you ;) :D

7 channels is pretty darn good for an initial launch. Of course it's a lot easier to do by satellite. So far the highest number of channels in America that one can have at one time is with Voom satellite at around 40+ HD channels.

I'm curious, how many satellite services are offered in the UK?

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I believe at least one French High Def service will launch next year so while BSKYB may have gone public first they won't be able to claim to be the first commercial HD broadcaster in Europe:)

There is only one viable subscription digital satellite service aimed solely at the UK (and ROI) that being BSKYB. There are of course many satellites that broadcast free programming which can be picked up from the UK and a number of European subscription services that can be aquired for those who have the money and contacts:)