1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do i need ? (analogue to dvd)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by grahamricho, Apr 11, 2004.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have a analoge camcorder and want to transfer onto dvd.
    I am going to buy a dvd RW and i already have the pinnicle dc 10 card and software which i,ve had a few years,but never really used. what speed dvd burner do i need 4x or 8 x.
    Also what else do i need i would but the anologe video onto my hard drive threw the DC 10 and then burn it onto the dvd disc ?
    What do i have to change the video into and how (MPEG 2 ?)
    A quick step by step instructions would be very helpfull or any help would ...graham

2. Aitch

Aitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you already have DC10, then you can purchase a Pinnacle LINX connection which will go straight from the analoque camcorder to the computer via a usb connection. Although this takes a little longer to do, it will do a perfectly good job as the DC10 was designed with this in mind. At a later date if you go DV with your camcorder you will come up to firewire connection which is faster. I was lucky enough to get my LINX free, but check their website for prices. From memory £10-£30. Out of curiosity my CD RW is 40x12x40x. Hope this help, Aitch

3. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Thanxs for your reply...What benefit will i get using the LINX cable ?
    How much video in time can you fit on a cd and how much more can you fit on a dvd ? and what do i need to convert it to mpeg 2 which i beleave what is what i would need to play it back on my dvd player, i would buy a cd rewriter but my sony will not play them vcd,s So when i saw a dvd rw for £50 i thought was a good buy.....thanks graham

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    VCD will hold approx 1 hour of video
    SVCD will hold approx 15 minutes
    DVD+/-R(W) will hold approx 1 hour of best quality video and with good software should get upto 2 hours at reasonable quality.

The DVD writers speed is not relevent to what you can/can't do. It is just a matter of how fast it will write the disk. A 4x writer will burn a full 4.7Gb disk in around 15 minutes (after the files have all been converted etc).

To create your disks you need authoring software. I use and am happy to recommend Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 and you can get a free 30 day trial download of it from Here. this will do everything you need including capture, editing (very basic only), file conversion to MPEG-2 for DVD, create menus and chapters, and then burn it all to the disk. It will also create VCD's & SVCD's. It can be bought online for around £25.

Mark.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I've just had a quick look at the specs of the DC10 and as long as you already have leads that you can connect your camcorder to it you will not need to get any others.
    If you don't have any cables for the cam then check what you need, probably (as I don't know your cam) 3 phono (red & white for sound, or only 1 if mono sound and yellow for video) plugs at each end.

Mark.

6. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi thanks foryour help....I have been playing around with the DC 10 and its great for cutting editing video/sound but there does not seem to be any bitwere you can change the colour/contrast /brightness etc can you on the DC 10 or any other packages ? thanks graham

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Any picture correction would be down to software, not the hardware. I'm afraid that if you want to find out if your editing prog can do this then its down to :rtfm:

Mark.