1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jayacee, Jan 14, 2003.

1. jayacee

jayacee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am new to this forum and in need of someone's expertise help. I am in the process of purchasing a new reciever and speaker package at the cost of no more than £800.

Two years ago I purchased a Sony widescreen (28") and a Sony DVD, model DVP S725D, Which supports DTS, Dolby Digital and Digital Cinema Sound. I think thats right! I have a Sony pro logic surround sound at present and am now ready to move forward to 5.1 or even 6.1. I am not up on all the jargon but want a sound system that is best for my needs in the little space that I have in my living room

All I want to do is watch T.V. watch DVD's and play audio C.D's.
    I have a small living room so I need speakers that are small.

With this in mind I have on my shortlist the following:-

Sony reciever STR-DB1080 - £369.00 @ Superfi

Tannoy Speakers FX 5.1 speaker system - £399.00 @ HIFIBitZ

Firstly, would this be a good combo for my money?
    Secondly, even though the reciever is 6.1 can I run it as 5.1 and add the additional speaker at a later date?

Lastly, what would be your choice for this money?

I do prefer Sony products as you can see from my original set-up and am keen on sticking to the reciever stated. Sorry if the Questions sound daft, but I am not up on all the know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

2. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can run it at 5.1 and get rear centre later.
    As far as I know the Sony is quite well regarded, not sure on the Tannoy's.
    What HiFi for what its worth have reviewed a lot of similar but more expensive packages this month, February.