What do I do with this?

TayWax

Distinguished Member
So just moved in to a new house which has a fairly impressive pond. We didn't realise until the previous owners drained it and removed their fish that it looks as though its made of concrete so one hell of a job to make in the first place. Meaning one hell of a job to remove (should we want to).

We cleaned out the majority of the remaining algi (there was a lot, I think this pond is 25+ years old) and it's come up pretty clean but we are stuck with knowing what to do with it now. We don't really want fish again to be honest and I'm leaning towards just having it as a water feature with some pond plants etc. Problem being is that we removed the electric to it when we moved in as we weren't sure about the safety of it, in hindsight it was probably OK. Rerunning the electric is a cost we can't afford at the moment so we're looking at solar fountains or similar as having standing water is not a great idea either but not sure they will be enough to service a pond this size.

Looking at all suggestions for use, be it pond (no fish) , seating area, whatever. We just are stumped with what to do with it at the moment and hoping some resident experts might be able to offer a bit of guidance or some fresh ideas. Thanks
20210712_135753.jpg
20210712_135729.jpg
20210712_135741.jpg

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Hahaha, I was going to say the same, but in two words.

To be fair, that is a nice looking pond. Unless you really don't want one, i'd fill it back up and get some filtration on it. Ponds are relatively low maintenance if you do right at the start. When I moved into my current house, the previous owner had a pond. Poorly put in, no filtration and some crap little solar water pump, but even then, it was once a year to trim the pond plants. I didn't even feed the fish for about 2 years and we had 30 in there when I emptied and removed it (due to a newly walking toddler). Ponds can be really nice and a lot of the hard work has been done for you there.

TayWax

Distinguished Member
Six words.

Hot tub, hot tub, hot tub.
This has been mentioned a few times. But while it's clean, it's not that clean. Not sure I'd want to get in it yet.

Plus, I know you're just trying to sell me one of your hot tubs.

Someone suggested a skate park for hedgehogs, but not sure how busy it would get

TayWax

Distinguished Member
Hahaha, I was going to say the same, but in two words.

To be fair, that is a nice looking pond. Unless you really don't want one, i'd fill it back up and get some filtration on it. Ponds are relatively low maintenance if you do right at the start. When I moved into my current house, the previous owner had a pond. Poorly put in, no filtration and some crap little solar water pump, but even then, it was once a year to trim the pond plants. I didn't even feed the fish for about 2 years and we had 30 in there when I emptied and removed it (due to a newly walking toddler). Ponds can be really nice and a lot of the hard work has been done for you there.
Yeah, I figured this might be the best solution to be honest. It's just getting the electric out there. Patio isn't just slabs so not that easy to run the cable under I don't think, but I'm no expert.

D

Deleted member 24354

Problem is, if you turn it into a hot-tub, you will need the obligatory anthracite windows, artificial grass and leased Range Rover to go with it :D

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I figured this might be the best solution to be honest. It's just getting the electric out there. Patio isn't just slabs so not that easy to run the cable under I don't think, but I'm no expert.
Anything is possible. Lots of helpful people on the forum can advise too.

Thug

Definitely back to a pond.
I have had a few ponds FAR smaller than this and have never had electric or filtration to them yet.
You need to get plants that clean and aerate. If you do get fish then they will also help clean and they don’t require much looking after either.
They eat any bugs that fall in, moss and some plants, so can be left for many weeks without issue.
The larger the pond the easier it is to look after.

They are so relaxing to sit and look at, especially with fish in there.
If you definitely don’t want fish the just fill it with water and plants and forget about it. There will be no harm in using solar fountains just don’t expect much from them.

Last edited:

Pollywoggle

Did you decide what to do in the end?
I hope you decided to return it to a pond, so many have been filled in over the last few decades.
We had one at our previous house that was there when we moved in and we loved it.
So relaxing and it had frogs that came every year to spawn in February, was like our own little bit of garden wilderness.
I really miss having one to be honest.

TayWax

Distinguished Member
At the moment we've decided to keep it as a pond. Mainly because I think it would be too expensive to remove. We filled it back up, put some plants in but no electric or there still so tried a couple of solar fountains to try and keep the water moving. Waste of time, they are crap. It's gone very green and basically needs draining again. So far, not a great advertisement for keeping it. Lol

We are going to get electric out there as we are basically getting most of the house rewired but I do look at it and think I could really do with that space back.

TayWax

Distinguished Member
Thanks. We did treat it with sludge killer (or something named similar) when we filled it but didn't appear to do much. I'll invest in some the above

larkone

Distinguished Member
Sludge Killer is for removing the sludge created by the fish you don't have. Green water is caused by algae. The other one that may be an issue if you top the pond up with tap water (because of the calcium - it feeds it) is blanket weed - stringy green bits in the water.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom