What do I do projector screen distance in dedicated room.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DuncanFisken, Jun 14, 2015.

1. DuncanFisken

DuncanFisken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've posted this in my main build thread but thought I'd start a separate one as it's a burning question for me right now.

Okay so I'm having a bit of a dilemma today.

Been outside measuring where I estimate the front speakers and screen will need to be seated.

Based on the monitor audio website the speakers need to be placed around 20 cm from the wall. This plus the actual depth of the units means the screen will be about 70cm into the room.

The front row of seating will have a viewing distance of around 290cm to the 120" screen.

My question is is this to close? Should I reconsider and mount the screen on the wall and place the speakers to the side and underneath? Thus giving me a viewing distance of 360cm.

Another option would be to place the speakers closer to the wall.

I'm starting to get a little nervous when trying to picture me looking at the screen from the different distances.

Thanks for any advice and help.

Cheers

Duncan

2. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    You would probably be best posting this in the projector forums. I have 120" screen and we sit about 3 meters back from it and I find that just right, but each person is different. Where do you prefer to sit in a cinema up front and close or further back?

If I remember tomorrow I'll measure the distance.

3. DuncanFisken

DuncanFisken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Great thanks, that would be very helpful. Generally sit middle of the cinema when I go, although would probably be happy to sit close. I'll repost over there as well.

4. DuncanFisken

DuncanFisken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Great thanks, that would be very helpful. Generally sit middle of the cinema when I go, although would probably be happy to sit close. I'll repost over there as well.

5. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    As promised my head is 3.2 meters from 120" screen, which is 16:9 but adjustable height masking for 2.35:1. My PJ is the same as yours.

6. DuncanFisken

DuncanFisken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Great thanks Ron. This helps massively, how do you find the picture? Any concerns at that distance.... I reckon I could get the seats back to that distance with a little work on speaker distance from the wall and moving the seats slightly.

Cheers

Duncan