• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

what do i change first?

j17ykp

Standard Member
Hi there, due to being recently married and having to start afresh on our own budget is limted,

my current set up is

sony 40" V5500
pioneer vsx 1017 av amp
quad l-ite 5.1 speakers
ps3 (slim ,so it can decode HD audio)
Sky + box
Xbox 360
wii

now my problem is i want to upgrade either my front speakers to floorstanders to handel music better, or my amp so HD audio can be achieved

here in lies the problem i will probably have a budget of £400 or less for the equipment upgrade so i was going to acquire either a denon 1910amp or some new warfedale 10.4 speakers (in rosewood to match quads)

what would you suggest i do first to gain the best results/ impact for money spent as im totally torn, also im wondering if the speakers will be any better than the quads? i know the amp is a major improvement over the older pioneer.

thanks

Jay

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The Pioneer amps seems to sell for about £350, so I don't see you upgrading it by that much.

The Diamond 10.4 has two 5" woofers, so it should definitely be a step up above a bookshelf in terms of moving a lot of air. But the 10.5 and 10.6 are also good candidates. The 10.5 is the 3-way with a 6.5" woofer. The 10.6 is a 2-way with two 6.5" woofers.

Any of these would be a step up in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by HD audio. I think that is more of a marketing term than anything else. Your existing amps has lots of power, and lots of digital inputs; I'm not sure are gaining by buy a similar amp in a different brands.

So, obviously, I vote for speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom