What do I buy??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kasperjonand, Aug 24, 2002.

1. kasperjonand

kasperjonand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi you Guys/Gals

I have just returned from my trip to Asia where DVDs are kinda cheap. So now I need a DVD player. Only problem is that I don't have a lot of money (read "I am cheap") but apriciate quality. Since I am new to this thing I havent got a clue of what to buy and you guys seem to know what youre talking about.

My price range is around £150. Preferebly less!!! I have heard some peoble talking about players in that range saying that they technicaly on a level whit ordinary PC-DVD drives and they are noisy. Something about there being 2 dif. kinds of players. Those that are PCdrive like ande those that are not and therefor better. Is that true?

So my question to you all - what is the best buy in my range.

DO you know the JVC xvd723 - is it too old to even bother looking at? I can get for £190 (£190=2000 Danish kroners)

How about the Pioneer 454 - is that worth anything.

hope there is time in the busy calender to help me out here. I am desperate to have a look at all the good stuff I bought=)

cheers
    Kasper from Denmark

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kasper,

I cant tell you which player is the best buy to be honest, im sure someone else will come up for you or if you read a few posts you will work it out!

The jvc, i have never heard of it! JVC are not a brand which seems to be kicking around these forums all that often, which basically means they are not normally the brand to be looking at. Toshiba and pioneer are often the best.

Considering your statement about pc dvd...... believe it or not, an average pc is capable of things a normal dvd player can never dream, unfortunately it takes alot of time to set up. £150 is plenty to buy you a nice budget player, i wouldnt worry aboutit supposedly being 'different' because of dvdrom use or anything like that........

ad

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't really comment on the price of DVD players in the Danish market as I don't know whether the DVD players are more or less expensive than, or similarly priced to, the UK. However, if I had a choice between the JVC or the Pioneer, I would get the Pioneer. A lot of JVC players are not very good, whereas Pioneer make some really great players. Also worth considering is the Sony DVP-NS305 or the earlier model, the DVP-NS300. They are also cheap and are both cracking little entry-level players that have had excellent reviews. I have the NS300 and have been totally happy with all aspects of it - it delivers great pictures and sound :)

Try and find reviews of models you are considering at www.whatvideotv.com and www.homecinemachoice.com

Also, whatever player you go for, try and buy it with multiregion modification already fitted. If you buy the player as R2 only and then get another company to fit the mod, then it will cost you more.

4. RichGC

RichGC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What Video and TV said the Pioneer DV-350 is the best DVD player under £160. Its £159.99 in Dixons in the UK so i'd recommend that.

5. kasperjonand

kasperjonand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all and thank you

Forums like this is just the best!!! It's really nice having people with much more knowledge and experience than one self. Great. Pioneer hu'?! Weel I might be able to get a good deal on a DVD454 - £180. Well thats a good deal in Denmark anyway (I think). And i'll certainly chek out that 350... And the toshiba 210E. God it is difficult msking up ones mind:)

Thanks again
    Kasper