• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

what do I buy ...

brummiemic

Standard Member
Hi all im looking for a bit of advice. I first delved into home cinema 3 yrs ago and bought a all in one 5.1 onkyo package.
have enjoyed this but recently I changed the tiny front speakers that came with the package to tannoy v4 which has brought the sound to a different level. I now want to upgrade the av reciever im looking for something around the £3 -350 mark.
any ideas would be great as ive been looking at alot of products first was the sony strdn1040 but some of the comments on here have put me off, now im at a loss between onkyo 656. Yamaha rxv477? ? Or dennon. Help ..

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Did you get the matching V centre as well? If not then I would suggest getting that as the next step to improving your overall sound. If you have then brighter receivers like Onkyo and Sony are often recommended for Tannoy speakers as opposed to Yamaha/Denon. Not sure what comments you have read on the Sony but I have heard a lot of praise for it and certainly seems more reliable than Onkyo at the moment. Hence I would suggest the Sony 1040 but the best option of the ones you mention.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom