What do I buy/ upgrade?

mechakev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would really appreciate any help in this. I've done quite a bit of reading online but have come to a bit of an impasse (I don't just want to throw money at something which doesn't need it). Currently I have a 5.1 system that is a mish-mash of speakers that I've collected over the years (often for free/ very little):

AMP: Onkyo TX-NR656 (I will be keeping this)
Fronts: Tannoy 605 (I really like these but can appreciate they are old, possibly worn and unsuitable)
Center: Technics SB C500
Sub: Eltax Thunder 8
Surround: Gale 3060B

Usage: Music, Movies and Video Games.

I feel that it is probably time I upgraded and I am a little unsure what to do. The system as it is actually sounds pretty good considering nothing matches but I expect it could be a lot better and perhaps I am just used to it. At a guess, I think the center and the sub are the two biggest weak points.

I can probably spend up to £1000 but less is always better, as is retaining anything that is worth keeping.

Again, any advice/ opinions is very appreciated.

All the best,

Kev

Hi,

I would really appreciate any help in this. I've done quite a bit of reading online but have come to a bit of an impasse (I don't just want to throw money at something which doesn't need it). Currently I have a 5.1 system that is a mish-mash of speakers that I've collected over the years (often for free/ very little):

AMP: Onkyo TX-NR656 (I will be keeping this)
Fronts: Tannoy 605 (I really like these but can appreciate they are old, possibly worn and unsuitable)
Center: Technics SB C500
Sub: Eltax Thunder 8
Surround: Gale 3060B

Usage: Music, Movies and Video Games.

I feel that it is probably time I upgraded and I am a little unsure what to do. The system as it is actually sounds pretty good considering nothing matches but I expect it could be a lot better and perhaps I am just used to it. At a guess, I think the center and the sub are the two biggest weak points.

I can probably spend up to £1000 but less is always better, as is retaining anything that is worth keeping.

Again, any advice/ opinions is very appreciated.

All the best,

Kev

Congrats, the SVS will be great upgrade! Find a good spot for the sub (front corner example) and follow the manual how you should set the phone app before running your Onkyos AccuEQ setup and double check after that it doesn´t set the subwoofer level to some high -/+ figure as there is some feedback that it does odd things. Luckily it`s fast to run and i highly recommend using tripod or boom arm mic stand with the mic placed about 0,5meters from any walls.

If you took the deal 569£ i showed you on other thread then that leaves you 400£ for speakers. Don`t try to upgrade everything right away. I would say keeping the Gales could be fine as they are decent looking bipole speakers that gives you nice dispersed soundfield with the effects if they are placed some what ideally.

Center channel covers 60-70% of soundtrack so it`s one of the most active speaker in your system. You could start the upgrade from this and then follow with same brand and range main speakers later on. Or if you want just to get it done right away then buy new front three now. The Tannoys you have were 150£ speakers so you will get roughly something similar with modern looks and different sound. I would recommend that you go to any local hifi shops visiting and telling that you want to compare few models within your budget.

Congrats, the SVS will be great upgrade! Find a good spot for the sub (front corner example) and follow the manual how you should set the phone app before running your Onkyos AccuEQ setup and double check after that it doesn´t set the subwoofer level to some high -/+ figure as there is some feedback that it does odd things. Luckily it`s fast to run and i highly recommend using tripod or boom arm mic stand with the mic placed about 0,5meters from any walls.

If you took the deal 569£ i showed you on other thread then that leaves you 400£ for speakers. Don`t try to upgrade everything right away. I would say keeping the Gales could be fine as they are decent looking bipole speakers that gives you nice dispersed soundfield with the effects if they are placed some what ideally.

Center channel covers 60-70% of soundtrack so it`s one of the most active speaker in your system. You could start the upgrade from this and then follow with same brand and range main speakers later on. Or if you want just to get it done right away then buy new front three now. The Tannoys you have were 150£ speakers so you will get roughly something similar with modern looks and different sound. I would recommend that you go to any local hifi shops visiting and telling that you want to compare few models within your budget.
Thank you for the advice here and on the other thread, very appreciated, it's why I went for the pro over the standard :) I'll definitely use a tripod to mount the mic (I usually just sat it on my sofa at head height).

I managed to get the sb1000 pro for 540 new and delivered from RS (via a price match), which I thought was very decent. Really excited to set it up and give it a spin...my neighbour is 95 and half deaf, so should be able to crank it!

I was thinking of the q acoustic 3000i series for front and center speakers, the 3090ci can be had for under 100 used quite easily. The fronts...perhaps the 3020s or 3030s? By the looks of things, I'll just keep the Gales as they are still good (not bad for a £5 eBay purchase).

Kev

Thank you for the advice here and on the other thread, very appreciated, it's why I went for the pro over the standard :) I'll definitely use a tripod to mount the mic (I usually just sat it on my sofa at head height).

I managed to get the sb1000 pro for 540 new and delivered from RS (via a price match), which I thought was very decent. Really excited to set it up and give it a spin...my neighbour is 95 and half deaf, so should be able to crank it!

I was thinking of the q acoustic 3000i series for front and center speakers, the 3090ci can be had for under 100 used quite easily. The fronts...perhaps the 3020s or 3030s? By the looks of things, I'll just keep the Gales as they are still good (not bad for a £5 eBay purchase).

Kev
That is great price for the SVS!

There is also the older Concept range which is little bit better than 3000i range and comes with gloss finish. However the gloss white has black grilles, so gloss black looks bit nicer. You should be able to get them together for 400£ if you have a talk with dealer.

If you go with the 3000i range then i would pick the 3030i and 3090Ci front three assuming you don´t have very small room / speakers kept very close to walls.

Update:

The sb1000 pro is absolutely superb. It's taken me some time to dial it in (with the kind help of a friend) but it makes everything sound spectacular in comparison. The bass is so so smooth, controlled and there is oodles of it!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom