1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do Freeview boxes output via SCART?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by organica, May 27, 2005.

1. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking into getting a Freeview box.

However, I'm having difficulty finding out what the various boxes actually output via SCART.

I want to view it on my projector, preferably via the VGA input, which accepts a component signal - but I need to know whether the signal coming out of the Freeview box would be compatible (sync etc) with the projector's input (it's a BenQ PB6210).

The projector manual shows a connection lead with three phonos (YPbPr) going to the VGA socket (RGB). There's also a sync timing chart with horizontal frequency and vertical frequency values. From what I can see, none of the Freeview boxes have separate component sockets, so it would need to come via SCART to the BenQ's VGA in.

Can anybody suggest which Freeview boxes might work for this?

Cheers -

g k

2. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    it also takes composite video and s-video so youve probably got more options than you think. I think there is one that outputs component but syncing as you have indicated might be the problem.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
  4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I think the Netgem box is your best bet. Just get a scart to VGA cable to connect it up, and no conversion will be required. The YUV component output should be excellent quality equal to RGBcvS from a standard scart.

Your other option if the PJ can only accept YUV component is to get any standard Freeview box. These all output RGBcvS via scart. Feed that into a JS-Tech RGB to VGA converter and onto the PJ with a VGA lead as RGBHV, or they also do an RGB to Componet converter. This option gives you the chance of connecting any Freeview box, but will cost a fair bit more money for the converters.

Mark.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Although YUV can be called "component" in the strictest sense, you will only see a big difference if you feed your projector with Y/Pr/Pb progressive component, which I don't believe any Freeview box ouputs.

6. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers folks -

was hoping for YPrPb ideally, since I know for sure the BenQ likes that -
    but I'm looking into the Netgem at the moment...

I'm slightly surprised - given the popularity of Freeview - that there isn't a wider range of options re outputs. Nearly all seem to be SCART, and not always easy to find out what they're actually transmitting. Despite my fondness for French culture, I think there is something evil about SCARTs :eek:

g k

7. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The iPlayer also outputs S-Video and RGB.

Isn't there a box of tricks that can then give you the ouput you're looking for?

www.iplayer.co.uk

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I agree, but to be fair, Y/Pr/Pb and progressive were not really buzz-words when the scart was invented. The scart will be slowly phased out when HDTV comes in.

P.S. You might like to think about one of these from Keene Electronics. It will convert an RGB or s-video source to SVGA/XGA progressive for £129.