1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do do

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by boristhespie, Aug 22, 2005.

1. boristhespie

Standard Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    thought about buying. Like the idea of Toshiba rx32/34 especially the ability to set the bitrate to fill a disk, but I have doubts over the lack of space on a disk.

So was happy to see the new double layered rx510. I noticed it talks about Variable bitrate setting. Is this equivalent to Toshibas?

Also how does the double layer aspect work. Can you split a recording where you want and if recording straight to disk do you notice the pause in the disk playback?

Also noticed that there is a Rx710 with 160gig hard drive. It seems to be french with Pal/ secam tuner (which I would like) but is this same as the 510 with just alarger HD and is this case if us being ripped off in the UK again (it seems just as cheap as our 510)

Lastly when will the HD formats finally be available to us mere mortals?

Thabsk for any help.
  2. ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Variable bitrate is not the same as flexible (manual) bitrate mode. Variable bitrate could be used while 2-pass encoding (first pass - record to HDD, second pass - dub to DVD). Sony has (only?) 8 modes of recording modes (bitrate modes).

European 710 is almost the same as 510. It has larger - 160 GB HDD and additional DV in. Tuner works in PAL BG/DK/I/L - excactly the same as UK 510.

ArtS ;)