What discs for Panny E30

Faust. Ok I'm the first one of 50 to comment.:D If you only have one chance to record a TV program or film then yes you are correct in choosing "expensive" media as opposed to cheap media. However! If you have a lot and I mean a lot of VHS material to transfer then you would have to be a millionair to afford the "expensive media".

The cheap media that has recorded ok "remains ok" and is as good as the expensive media. Even with failed cheap discs it still works out a lorra lorra cheaper than going the TDK,Panasonic media route. The worst is not so much the loss of money when a cheap disc fails but the loss of time and energy and the shear frustration of not always getting it right the first time. :p

Thanks for your spin on things as well Malcolm. It's just that I cannot stand failed recordings, I feel my life ticking away whilst I do the whole job again. As an example I always use Sony CD-R for burning cd's on my PC - reason? I have never ever had a failure with them and I'm now into hundreds, so to me it's worth it. Camcorder - TDK, Sony etc. good quality results. Speaking for myself, expensive media is one that I have purchased cheaply and then had a poor result - I value my time more highly than I value money.

Hi

My reason for getting the E30 (one day soon) is down to the cheaper media than the Philips model.

I think the cheaper brands of DVD-Rs will stabilse in quality and the cost of the name brands drop after a certian point.

I now use pretty well any CD-Rs in my old 4x burner and almost never have probs.

Guess we have to put up with some failures as early adopters.

Mark

Could someone just clear this up for me , 2 Questions here

1. Whats the write once disc's called ? Is it DVD-R ?

2.Whats the Re-Writable disc's called ? Is it DVD-RW ?

I got the impression fro mthe start of this thread that Write Once disc's can only be used

Been in touch with CD-R Media this morning and they are going to credit my card with what it cost me for the non working disc's. Going to choose a better make disc and see how I go. Hope that SVP do the same for me on monday.

Aletank: Q1: yes
Q2: yes

The Panasonic use Ram disc's which can be re-written on up to 50,000 time's I believe.

The panasonic uses DVD-R write once discs and DVD-RAM rewritable discs. The -RAM discs can either be in naked form or in a caddy, and can be double sided to give up to 12 hours capacity on the extended recording mode. (You do have to manually turn them over though, half way through)

DVD-R will play back in virtually all dvd players unlike the +R of the phillips which are less well supported. IT is only possible to play back -RAM discs in panasonic machines at present but this may improve in the future as the multi standard machines are introduced. (Although I understand the phillips +RW and +R formats are still not recognised as authorised DVD data)

Hi

Do people prefer DVD-RAM in hard cases or loose?

Is it more of an issue with single sided or double sided?

Got 10x DVD-RAMs without cases and wondered if I should have gotten them with casses as I just discovered an unlabled CD-R on my desk with scratches that won't let it read. urrrghhhh....

Mark

I use bare discs, double sided mostly, and have had no problem. I need to though because my RA-82 doesn't accept caddy's. Just make sure that when they aren't in use they are stored properly and they'll be fine.

Update on my earlier posts, I have sent back all the disc's that didn't work and have got my money back. I have since been using Traxdata from cd-r media and have yet to have a failure. I think I'll try some different make's in small batches, but may well settle with Traxdata.

As for the ram disc'c, I got mine in caddy's for the simple reason that you will be handeling them a heck of a lot more than normal disc's.

I also have gone for traxdata discs, as they seemed to be the best compromise between cost and using a branded media.

Mine cost under £1 a go from blankshop who offfered an excellant service, even phoning me to sort out a problem with charging to my card due to a data transmission error? Their website strongly recommended this media as the most reliable even though they sold others at both more and less cost

Is anywhere else significantly cheaper for next time?

SVP have some Datawrite discs on offer, yellow topped with a purple/blue writing surface that writes at 1x. They say it can be used on the panny e30 and they sell for an incredible £29.50 for 50. Anybody tried these yet and with what results?

I got one of these yellow disks along with my last order, just to try them out. I have heard nothing but bad things but thought I'd see for myself. I have a e30 btw. Haven't gotten round to trying it yet but will let you know as soon as I have.

The Datawrite Yellow work fine on a Panasonic HS2 - and read fine on a Tosh 220 and Panny SC-HT80 (which is picky in other respects). I reckon there is a very good chance that they would be OK on the E30.

Went ahead and bought 50 of the datawrite yellow. Only used 3 or 4 so far but no problems reported. (dmr 30). Will try on my Sony DVD over the weekend. Let you know the results.
Even if 2 or 3 prove to be duff then £30 still represents a great bargain.

I talked to SVP about the Datawrite Yellow and was advised NOT to buy them for the E30...........yet captaindobie says they work. ???????? I need to get some discs and am thinking of getting some Datasafe blue/white branded from bigpockets.

Well, i can confirm that they definitely work. I have tried a finalised disc in my Sony DVD and it works fine. Recorded using the FR mode on the Panasonic. I first tried the Datawrite as part of a sample pack i got for a fiver. So, at the moment they are proving to be an excellent bargain. Then again, maybe i have been lucky...:confused:

The thing is, when I asked SVP about the yellow discs they said they worked but when I told them of the problems that I'd had with Zero Defex, about them freezing after about 75 mins, they said not to get them. I presume, captaindobie, that you have been recording for longer than 75 mins. Still not sure wether to get any. I won't be getting any blue/white Datasafe because on another forum they have been reported to be crap. If only I could find some Traxdata from somewhere...........but then wouldn't we all like that.

Hello again. Yes, i am using them to record 2 episodes of 'taken' on each disc. This is roughly 3 hours worth of material. What i will say is that i have not played back the recorded discs in full as i have been watching each episode as i record it. Although, as mentioned above there has been no problems so far during recording. If i do find any issues i will let you know.

I've been doing Taken as well. The Traxdata discs I used are 100%. Zero Defex recorded fine, or so I thought when I checked the beginning of the disc but when I started to watch all the way thru', that's when I discovered they were freezing. I would suggest you check one asap. Hope they are ok.

I would suggest you check one asap. Hope they are ok.

Sound advice. You just cannot assume any recording is "OK" unless viewed all the way through. That has been my bitter experience. Especialy with eproformance discs and traxdata if played back on an E20 "They usually stutter".

Traxdata seem ok on the E30 by and large apart from some in my experience that fail temporarily while recording and start up again producing a recording with two menues instaead of one with a few seconds lost while the machine was faffing about.

As for Datasafe discs (Any Datasafe discs) I have learned to leave well alone be it with the E20 or E30 they have proved to be useless for me.

The new FWS disc if you can get them pose the same problems as the Traxdata as mentioned above. They are ok by and large but if you want to play them back on an E20 then forget them as at least 60% of them will stutter on the E20.

The fact that someone has been successfull with the yellow discs on the E30 may simply indicate that not all E30s are equal as is the case with the E20 model.

Hi

Been using eperformance and spindel of FWS and so far so good. For watch once I use the DVD-RAM disks that come with the player, and an Opto disc.

But saying that I'm not checking them all they way through - just chapter advances etc.

So how do you know? I don't want to back up crates of VHS only to discovered I've wasted time and discs.

Mark

Hi

A friend is on the way over to use my E30 to digitise footage for his computer so I figured I'd set up a DVD-RAM disk for him.

In the process of checking the Panny disk I had been using for misc prog tape viewing and erasing it came up with this painlfully slow format which never ended. Somewhat concerned I tried to eject the disk to no luck.

Then tried turning it off - no go. I pulled the plug and restarted it and it went into 'RECOVER' finally after many minutes game me warning that the data was lost.

I tried to delete the programs and it's gone into RECOVER mode again. Will have a shot at formatting one more time.

Anyone had a similiar prob?

M

Mark Bennett. Never had that problem with a RAM disc but have of course had a recovery problem with a DVD-R disc.

I have noticed that when the E30 goes into recovery mode and does it's bit then upon inserting a new disc problems can still occure. The way round it is after it has done it's recovery bit. Turn off the E30 then turn on and then open the tray and close again without inserting any disc. The next time you open the tray all should be well. This has worked with DVD-R discs that have sent the machine into recovery. Maybe it will solve your RAM disc problem. Good luck. Malcom

Mark Bennett. As a priority I would play all your Eproformance discs all the way through as I have had several that "freeze" part way through. It's a matter of luck as i have used a batch of 10 without problem but then the next batch has a 50% fail rate. You just never know with that brand.

The FWS discs will probably be ok as picture freezing has been less of a problem with them. (Rare in my experience and I have used well over a 100 old type and new). Never the less I do have problems with the "New" FWS when recorded on the E30 but played on the E20. As I said before a high proportion stutter in the E20 that I have. Who knows they may also stutter in some ordinary DVD players!!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom