1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Disadvantages are there to not having DVI on Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by vexorg, May 17, 2003.

1. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the disadvantages to not having a DVI input or HDCP DVI input say over the next 24-36 months.

In particular comparing the the Sony 12HT and HS10.

The 12HT does not have DVI input so what would I potentially be missing out if I were to buy one. I would feed the PJ from a HTPC.

Thx

Vex.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    24-36 months! :eek:

I reckon in 36 months the HS10 will be a distant memory & we'll look back & ask "how did we ever put up with that dire picture quality?" :)

OK, I've had TFT monitors for nearly 4 years & all have had DVI connectivity. The difference between DVI & VGA on all models was significant. Significant enough to make me forego, forever, VGA.

DVI is a purely digital means of transmission & with a "digital" display (TFT desktop monitor/LCD PJ) the benefits/advantages are clearly visible (to me at least).

Very much like the differences between s-video & RGB/component video signal transmission. We all know s-video is an inferior format - same as VGA relative to DVI.

Now, with high res displays the benefits become more pronounced - sharper, better contrast, more faithful colour rendition, generally more vibrant & better overall.

From a HCPC point of view, 1:1 pixel mapping is very important & DVI is undoubtedly a better way of getting this to projector. We'll soon have DVI equiped DVD players available (already in the US) & so a compatible projector is important.

Further down the line (& not that far!) we'll have HD-DVDs & HD TV. Most high def set top boxes in the US & Japan have DVI outputs - again reinforcing the fact that DVI is better & the way to go.

HDCP??? Obviously better to have a HDCP compliant display device - future proof if you like, but more & more HD stuff will be HDCP encrypted.

Of course, all this is moot now, with the emergence of a new, higher quality transmission standard on the horizon :eek:

The days of DVI are numbered - remember who said it first :rotfl:

Anyway, hope this answers at least some of your questions. I'm hoping to save enough in the coming months to actually buy a DVI cable myself & see what my HS10 looks like. I suppose I'll have problems getting it to work correctly with my PC - don't think the on-board graphics on my PC can handle DVI (Savage S3 chip or something - must ask in HCPCs).

Best of luck with whichever way you go

;)

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    You jesting? I thought you were already using DVI on your HS10 and had been for quite some months?

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I endorse what Messiah has said but would put in a BIG warning over HDCP, this will be essential and will be a real minefield with many products being mad obsolete VERY quickly. There are going to be huge compatibility problems ahead. Bee very careful if you think you need something for the longterm. :(

Sorry to be the messenger of bad tidings ;)

5. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer,

Just wondering.... Have you got a Bravo D1 (relatively cheap DVD player $199 with DVI output)?

Edit: Interesting reading: Ewan Powell's review of Bravo D1 from ProjectorCentral.com:
    http://projectorcentral.com/bravo_d1.htm

Julia

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Kramer,

what the fudge ?? Has Kramer been hacked ????

Sean G.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. Did consider one a while back though (well, for $199 one can't really go wrong - almost "disposable" money). Will wait to see how things pan out.

Yep, just jesting :) Happy with 1:1 via DVI from my 9700 Pro.

.....just jesting.....

:smoke:

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    K,

:eek: .................:blush: I should really wake up fully in the morning before posting....................

See ya,

Sean G.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries Sean ;)

I'm mad I am, mad I tell you :rotfl:

Anyone for the last few choc-ices now?

:smoke: