What digital slr with gps

m11rphy

Hi all, I'm taking a trip to Florida in June and want to get a dslr to take with me. I currently only have a iPhone 5 for pictures so I'm looking for something better. My only requirements are easy to use and GPS, I have been advised by a friend to get a Sony alpha a65. Can anyone think of any better options .? If the Sony is the best is the 18- 55 mm the one to go for ?

m11rphy

Roger Matthews said:
The a65 with the standard lens is simply terrific! I would go for that!

Roger:smashin:
Thanks can you recommend a good place to buy ? I wandering a rx100 would be a better option ?

Faldrax

It depends on your budget.

The A77 is better than the A65, and the 16-50 /2.8 is better than the 18-55, but an A65 + 18-55 is ~£550, while an A77 + 16-50 f/2.8 is ~£1180!

eddiewood

Distinguished Member
Thanks can you recommend a good place to buy ? I wandering a rx100 would be a better option ?
The RX100 would be a very good compact alternative to taking a bulky dSLR sized camera with 18-55mm lens. However it lacks GPS, but with GPS on the iPhone you just use an app to record your location using the date/time and match it up later to the camera pictures.

Of course it also lacks other stuff such as the view finder and ability to change lenses. So how important are those to you?

I'd take the RX100 as it'll be in your pocket everywhere you go. It'll give you dSLR like images at a fraction of the bulk and weight.

m11rphy

eddiewood said:
The RX100 would be a very good compact alternative to taking a bulky dSLR sized camera with 18-55mm lens. However it lacks GPS, but with GPS on the iPhone you just use an app to record your location using the date/time and match it up later to the camera pictures.

Of course it also lacks other stuff such as the view finder and ability to change lenses. So how important are those to you?

I'd take the RX100 as it'll be in your pocket everywhere you go. It'll give you dSLR like images at a fraction of the bulk and weight.
Didn't realise it didn't have GPS are there any other good compacts with GPS ?

m11rphy

Roger Matthews said:
Agreed, the A77 + lens is better than the A65 + lens but NOT £550-£600 better!

Roger
Wouldn't want to spend more that £550 for a dslr I am wondering if a compact might be better. It's a shame none of the nex series have GPS

eddiewood

Distinguished Member
Didn't realise it didn't have GPS are there any other good compacts with GPS ?
No idea TBH. Personally I wouldn't have it as a key requirement as your iPhone plus geotag app will do the job instead.

m11rphy

How does the geo tag app work ?

eddiewood

Distinguished Member

stefanjan

Novice Member
Does the GPS pick up the satellites fast enough to be useful. In my experience they don't so the data is often wrong. I've stopped using the gps in my camera and use a proper walking gps instead which picks up satellites immediately.

eddiewood

Distinguished Member
Does the GPS pick up the satellites fast enough to be useful. In my experience they don't so the data is often wrong. I've stopped using the gps in my camera and use a proper walking gps instead which picks up satellites immediately.
When you connect the A77 to the included Sony PC software it updates the GPS data so that it locks faster. I can't remember how often the updates are as I don't use GPS on mine.

My TomTom satnav does similar when you connect it to the TomTom Home software. It significantly reduces the lock time on that.

m11rphy

After looking around a bit I think I'm gonna try get a used Sony a55 looks like a nice camera and hopefully can get one around the £250 mark. Hopefully someone on this forum may have one for sale

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom