1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what digital camcorder to buy with 1000 US$??

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by hardt, Jul 1, 2002.

1. hardt

hardt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi experts: my in-laws gave us a grant to buy a digital camcorder. i never ever owned a camcorder before and have absolutely no idea how to distinguish the good from the bad. what i found out so far is that (a) optical zoom instead of digital zoom is a distinguishing factor (but why do the cheaper models usually have a higher optical zoom than the more expensive ones?), (b) optical image stabilization is superior to digital, (c) the better the lens, the better the picture, (d) at least 1meg ccd resolution, and (e) progressive photo.
    i am not interested in special effects or any other gizmo to manipulate the picture that is wired to the camcorder, as i plan to do all this on my macintosh. therefore, i also need a camcorder with firewire (iLink, IEEE1394).
    i started to be interested in canon's optura 100 mc. however, this camera usually sells way above 1000 dollars. then there is sony, but they usually neither have (b) or (e).
    any recommendations? thank you very much for your time and help! olli.

2. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for Sony PC9 or PC100/110/120.

(Canons Are v Good, but Sonys are Better overall)
    Pls, forget about the alphabet for the moment, listen to the expert.
    Best qty,Lenses,...Picture!

BUT, If you can get discontinued(cheaper) older Canon with Optical IS, get it ,u are getting v good deal.All older DV models have Better build Qty.

Happy to answer any quests...

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly not the best forum to ask on as it is predominantly UK based.