What digital aerial, with twin output to go for? Easy to install?

RussboyG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was going to go down the freesat route but we've decided that since we built the house in 2010 & didn't put an aerial in its now time to do it. Our little boy is growing fast so will want to have an aerial feed to his room eventually (already cabled when we built the house).

So what do we need & how easy is it to fit & get the strongest reception? We live up on Epsom Downs in a place called Langley Vale so we are in a bit of a dip in the valley so all our neighbours seems to have their aerials about 2m up above the house height to get the best reception.

The reason I want a twin output is I want one line to our bedroom for a really strong reception on freeview, the other feed will go to a booster that already feeds the 3 other rooms needed.

Not afraid of fitting it myself as I put SKY up here on my own & managed to get the dish lined up etc.

So what do we need & what ££ are we looking at?

Thanks all,

Russ

ATV`s Choice Of Aerials for digital TV
Incidentally all aerials are analogue devices. The fact that the signals they lock on to carry digital data is irrelevant as the information is modulated onto a uhf analogue carrier. It's the carrier the aerial has to receive.

There are no twin output aerials. Aerials only have one connection. For two outputs use a splitter, but since you already have an amplifier use an output from that.

So what do we need & how easy is it to fit & get the strongest reception?
That's impossible to answer without more specific information. For example, is your strongest signal from Crystal Palace or Reigate?

If C.P. you'll do best with a "Group A" aerial and I'd recommend a V11-20A2 log-periodic with a masthead amplifier to provide 2 or more outputs.

If Reigate, I'd recommend a V10-36L log-periodic aerial with a masthead amplifier...
Log-Periodic Aerials

Change the existing booster to a passive splitter and be sure to use WF100 cable throughout, to minimise signal loss and interference problems.

Note that Reigate uses vertical polarisation.

Almost certainly it will be Crystal Palace Coverage Checker - Detailed View is the prediction for the Langley Vale Recovery company - not far from the Community Hall, which is similar-ish. The OP should change address to his to get accurate ones though!

If there is a distribution amplifier in place it will have four outlets so just use all four.

Unless trees or buildings are a big issue, at only 19-20 km from CP I'd not think a masthead should be needed. A decent group A 18-element or the larger log would probably suffice... but a decent professional installer would use a meter and test aerial, of course, to determine that.

Thanks all, looks like I've got some reading up to do.

Langley Vale recovery is 100m from my house so spot on with location.

Langley Vale is partly in a bit of a dip behind the racecourse up on the Downs. Looking around the area of the postcode quoted with StreetView, I can see at least one vertical aerial apparently on Guildford, so there may be problems with CP around there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom