1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Digi cam should I get? (to take pics and video)

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by wildbillmusic, Oct 14, 2003.

1. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, Im looking for a digital Camera that has these features...

Good for taking pictures outside
    Have a Visable Screen to view pictures on camera itself, and to take pictures
    Produce high qaulity pictures that can be transfered on to my PC via a USB
    Be able to capture short moving images (in good quality) and possible sound (if this is possible?)
    Have a good memory to store many pics/vids on it!
    Be supplied with a memory card/memory stick
    Be supplied with a case for outdoor/extreme use (can purchase seperarlty)

Price range: Around £250

Any suggestions?
    Also, is it even possible to get a digital camera that can capture moving images and maybee even Sound?

Bill

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,405
    Yes you can capture sound & moving images, but the quality is fairly low. If you want good quality video then your only real options is a camcorder. Camcorders are getting much better at taking stills, but the best quality comes from a dedicated unit.
    Memory cards can only write at a fairly slow speed so this keeps the quality for video low.

Mark.

3. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be using the digi cam outside to take shots of my biking mates doing jumps etc, and I wanted to also get some movie shots to upload on to my pc so i can send them to people. I want good quality photos, and fairly good movies, it doesnt have to be perfect qaulity movies though, just good enuf to make out, you know. if anything, i will just be using the movies on the camera to look at.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have a look at the Canon A70. 3.2mp, 3 x zoom, movies with sound. Excellent quality stills and amazing battery life.

You should be able to pick one up for £225 or so. Add a 128mb compact flash card (£30 or so) which will capture 70+ images at the highest quality setting.

Matt.

5. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out the minolta Z1, 3.2mp, 10x optical, 4x digital, 3 levels of video with sound, top level 640x480 30fps. £280, 256mb sd memory card £54 will take around 300 mid res photos or around 12 mins mid res video at 15 fps.

6. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that looks up my street, bit expensive, but good, and im willing to shell out on that sort of thing. How good is the Video Quality? Can someone send me a video in '15 fps' Qaulity becuase im not sure what the means. Beatsfromthesun@aol.com

What im really after is the digital camera that can take good average pictures, but do good movies as well. What the best camera for recording movies on around £300?

Thanks for your adivce!

Bill

7. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that camera look awsome! 30fps movies looks good too. How long can the movies be/ how much data can it store? Can you like buy a really good memory card for it or something?

Cheers

WB

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,405
    This should help:

Storage Capacity
    Approximate storage capacity of a 16MB SD (Secure Digital) Memory Card
    2048 x 1536/1600 x 1200/1280 x 960/640 x 480
    Fine 9 frames/14 frames/22 frames/69 frames
    Standard 17 frames/27 frames/39 frames/100 frames
    Economy 32 frames/47 frames/69 frames/150 frames

Movie Clips
    640 x 480/320 x 240/160 x 120
    30 fps 13 sec/21 sec./1 min. 22 sec.
    15 fps 26 sec./41 sec./2 min. 30 sec.
    Movie clips recorded with audio.
    Actual number of images may vary depending upon the subject and memory card.

Mark.

10. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it should take a 512mb sd card, around £155, you can take marks stats and x 32 for an estimate.

11. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This forum is propa! I’ve done the same thing on some others, but not as excellent response as this! Thanks to everyone, now all i got to do is do some over time work!

My Final Question......

::confused: Can you recommend the best quality rechargeable batteries (with charger) for the Z1, like ones that will last a long time with this particular model.

::confused: Also, Can anyone recommend the best/cheapset 128MB SD card

::confused: Finally, a decent bag to keep it in, after all im taking it biking with me (a hard case or something?).

Budget for all these accessories is strictly no more than £100.

I’m thinking of buying the Z1 from Amazon as its quite cheap there, and its free delivery so if I can buy the accessories from hem that would be cool (I’m England Based)

Cheers all, keep up the good work and if any of you want a chat sometime just ask.

WB:smoke: