What difficulty do you play your games on?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by tony kop77, Sep 4, 2007.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I got bioshock on day of release and have read some people have completed the game within a few days playing it on easy mode.
    I always play games on normal difficulty because I feel that easy ruins the game really. I normally dont go back to a game i completed.

2. Captain Beaky

Captain Beaky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    medium for me. that way, if I find I really like the game I'll go through it again on a more challenging difficulty, and I also have the option to go through it again on an " easy speed run" to mop up any achievements I didnt get on medium.

Usually, Im pretty ashamed of myself if I ever have to drop to easy to get past particularly hard bits!

3. Skiprat

Skiprat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Yeah i always tend to start games on normal mode, but i times by the end i wish i had done them on hard.

Am i currently working through R6:V again on realistic the only game i have ever gone back through

4. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    I've got bioshock on medium. I nearly always play games on the middle or one up from the middle setting. I always feel easy is no competition as you can usually muck something up big time and still complete your goal/aim. Likewise I don't usually try hard because I end up dieing too often and the controller gets launched into the wall.:devil:

Even if medium isn't overly hard I usually find it fun enough anyways and you can always go back and do a game on hard. Though i've never bothered yet due to boredom of knowing everything thats gonna happen.

5. durera

durera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,133
    Much like Beaky, I pretty much always play through on normal/Medium (or the second to last difficulty if there is more than easy/normal/hard) first ..

That way if I enjoyed the game I can go back through it on the toughest setting and the tougher challenge will make it worthwhile. Once I've beaten a game on the toughest difficulty I very rarely play a game again.

6. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,697
    Medium or Normal whatever it gets called in any particular game. I don't like things to be too easy but if it gets too hard, I tend to just give up and move onto something else.

7. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    The problem is though, even on Medium or Hard, when you die you just respawn back to life so in terms of challenge there's no difference.

For example, I started Bioshock on Easy.
    It's very simple and well into the game I haven't come close to dying.

Last night I restarted on Medium to see what the difference was.
    Within the first hour I had already been wasted several times but I just came back to life every time.

So I can still complete the game on Medium but the difference to Easy is it takes longer to kill enemies, I waste time respawning and it just gets frustrating being killed all the time.

If when you died you had to start the game/section all over again then fair enough but as it is, there's no real incentive or penalty to complete the game in Medium or Hard mode.
    Why not just do it in Easy mode and have an easy time of it?

--

8. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I am a bit rubbish on bioshock :rotfl: I just wanted to check others were not playing it on easy level. I pay £40 for a game I want to enjoy it and play the way it was intended not rush through it with little amount of enimes and complete it in a day or two.

9. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Exactly what I do, only time I don't do it is when you aren't given the choice - MotoGP for example.

10. sammy_leung

sammy_leung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Medium or Normal settings usually.. it's pretty much the best of both worlds
    Gives a bit of challenge without you ripping your hair out for a casual game :smashin:

11. Bushido

Bushido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    normal - medium for me for most games.

Bioshock im having no problems really as yet on med setting...although the Houdini splicers are a bit tricky!!

12. Batch

Batch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    University: Lancaster, Home: Cambridgeshire
    Ratings:
    +200
    Always start off on Medium, if i've enjoyed the game alot i'll sometimes go back through it on hard.

13. Nemesis X2

Nemesis X2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,805
    I always start on normal (if there’s only easy, normal, hard), or generally one difficulty down from the hardest.

That way there’s normally a challenge to start with without the game being too easy, and it also gives me somewhere to go once I complete a game, because if I enjoy a game I’ll want to play through it again, on the harder difficulty. It’s just something I do to get more value from the games. If I started on the hardest level, I wouldn’t see any point in playing it again on the same level…

14. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    either on medium or hard,depending on the game.
    mind you,call of duty 2 and 3,were stuck on the hardest setting,and ok,i died a lot,but it was such a challenge to finish them,at the hardest difficulty.
    real duck and cover stuff....albeit apart from the invisible walls they carry about with them on cod3.:D

15. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    I almost always start on Hard to test it out and see if I can handle it – usually, it gives me a much better challenge, as I tend to find Normal difficulty on most games is just a tad too easy.

I'm currently playing Bioshock on Hard (first run through), and am having to be very strategic with every move I make, which I think helps me savour every bit of the game as I play, rather than just blasting my way through it and missing out on many subtleties because of it. I plan on replaying it later on Easy or Medium and just going on the rampage!

Another thing: playing on hard really steeps you in the atmosphere in the game - I am still crapping it every time I start to fight a Big Daddy (at least early in the game – perhaps it'll wear off eventually when I get more upgrades and stuff), whereas I don't think you'd get the same adrenaline rush playing it on easy if you knew a couple of shotgun blasts would blow him away.

16. obi

obi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I always start most games on Normal then work my way up from there. I do though set it to proffessional on pro evo every year - in my eyes this is the only way to play it!!

17. Tufty McTavish

Tufty McTavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Medium at a minimum, sometimes on Hard, game type depending. Never on Easy.

I don't see the point of playing a game on Easy. It makes things faaarrr too easy in my view. If I'm having trouble, dropping a level of difficulty is often a nice option.

I actually find inclusion of an Easy difficulty labelled as something else very irritating indeed. Take Crackdown for instance. Easy mode was labelled "Tough". When I mocked some friends for playing on the easy difficulty they said they weren't. I had to point out that they were in fact on the easiest difficulty, they'd just misunderstood what it meant. They've got form for playing on easy mode, so I mock them whenever I get the chance :) Friends, we can do that!

Also, games that default to Easy, although there's a setting in the 360 configuration that tells the game to do this I believe. I guess some folks don't change the setting in the 360, and don't change the default game difficulty, so they don't ever experience a challenge, and don't return to a game a 2nd time either. That seems like a shame to me.

You could say I actively dislike easy mode. But it has its place on something that's genuinely new e.g Guitar Hero, I couldn't possibly have played that straight out of the box on Medium difficulty I think.

18. Slyboy

Slyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Pretty much like all you guys I tend to start on medium. If a game is really good I then try on hard or realistic level like R6 Vegas, however the only game I have gone through every difficulty level is Guitar Hero II, and I am sooooo close to completing expert. I will beat it, I will...

19. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Anyone that rushed through Bioshock in a couple of hours is doing themselves a great disservice imo :lesson:

Forza with the wheel, all assists off and on medium is actually getting quite tricky now with the higher powered cars and I'm progressively quite slowly.

20. Vega_04

Vega_04

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Same here for me, Normal or Medium. Then if I really enjoyed the game I'll go through on hard too. Did that on GOW and RAIN6, both of which were very challenging on hard.

21. Jackkk

Jackkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I remember renting MGS2 for ps2 and playing through it on very easy :eek: unsurprisingly i completed the game before the rental ran out and i just felt as though (at the time) my most anticipated game ever had been cut short and i'd cheated myself.

Luckily i did enjoy it enough to purchase it and its one of the very few games ive played through in every difficulty - I no always start games on at least normal although had to add a couple assists in Forza but im still crap enough to find this level challenging. :D

22. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    I feel a bit geeky now 'cos I've played through Quake 4 on all 4 difficulties and both Far Cry stories on all 3 difficulties...

really enjoyed those 2, both quite lengthy games.