1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what difference does this make?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cuewoz1, Dec 16, 2003.

1. cuewoz1

cuewoz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been looking at prog scan players and looking at tech specs. notice the video DAC spec figures.
    On the sony 730 its 108MHZ 12 bit, Yamaha 540 its something like 58MHZ 12 bit. Some like the Tosh SD530 are like the yamaha but say 10 bit also.
    What difference is this going to make to the picture.
    :confused:

2. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In itself - not a lot !

Remember the signal on a DVD is 8 bit and sampled at 13.5MHz, anything over that is theoretically overkill.

However, the extra bit depth can be useful if the player is doing any proc amp (Processing Amplifier) controls (e.g. Brightness, Contrast, Gamma etc..) when the original signals may get crushed without the extra dynamic range. (Though I would always prefer un-adulterated signals if possible)

The higher sample rate is really only useful where higher output rates are required - Progressive scan requires 27 MHz for example - but is not significant to Standard Definition video.

Numbers on spec sheets can be mis-leading - it's what's done with them that counts! Low numbers done right can look better than big numbers done wrong.

Hope this helps.

3. cuewoz1

cuewoz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh I didn't know dvds were 8 bit.
    Whats the point dvd player manufactuers makin 12 bit players then?
    I will be watching on a panasonic PT200E projector, does this mean it will look different?

Thanks