• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What difference does an in warranty PS3 without a Receipt?

deefadog

Hi all, i am going to buy a PS3 off a fellow forum member, it's 3 months old and it was sold with a receipt, but he can't find the receipt now. What does this mean, can i still get it repaired if it does go wrong?

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
the receipt might come in handy, if you were to claim by returning to the original store, or if sony got funny with you later in the original warranty, with regards purchase dates.
the main thing is, has he registered it with sony, on the phone, by giving them his details, and the serial number.(the online registration doesnt work most of the time, and they seem unaware of this).
if he has, the warranty is untransferrable, basically, and it remains his.

whereas with an xbox 360, you can transfer the warranty to a new owner, as they allow this, sony do not.

oska

The only problem I can see is if the seller was dishonest about the purchase date. They will pretty much replace if it's up to 18 months old on the PS helpline.

deefadog

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, no he has not registered it online/phone. So even if i do not have the receipt and i register it online, will this cover me if anything goes wrong, as i could have easily lost the receipt if i had purchased it?

Solar

The only problem I can see is if the seller was dishonest about the purchase date. They will pretty much replace if it's up to 18 months old on the PS helpline.
Yep, Sony can see how old it is just from the serial number on the bottom of the case anyway so it should be fine.

deefadog

OK, good :)

Is there a way i can check via the serial number, just how old it is?

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
not really without registering, sony would know all the details., but with the model number you can tell roughly though,as some models havent been made/sold for some time.

deefadog

Thanks, i'll go ahead with the sale then. He has a very good itrader rating with over 31 sales/trades with 100% so seems like a genuine guy!

alsina

Thanks, i'll go ahead with the sale then. He has a very good itrader rating with over 31 sales/trades with 100% so seems like a genuine guy!

I would actually give Sony a quick call to clarify the situation. I know that regarding their tv's, if you want them to repair under the 12 month guarantee, they will only do so if you have a copy of the original receipt. They do not keep track of tv serial nos. and also have no record of when a tv is sold, as a retailer could have it in stock for many months before it is sold to the customer.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom