What differeces are there (NTSC - PAL)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by whitty, Oct 9, 2001.

1. whitty

whitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTSC vs PAL
    Hi.....

This is my first post but have had a DVD player for a while. I have a Sony 735 player and Im thinking about getting it chipped from Techtronics...

The Output is PAL > PAL and NTSC > NTSC.

Is there any noticable difference between these two signals. My TV accepts NTSC on AV so If I buy a R1 disc when it is chipped the Output will be NTSC.......

I have a Decent SCART cable and player is set to RGB.

Thanks guys

Rob

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,095
    Differences between PAL and NTSC:

1) The colour information is carried differently. This means that the TV has to be capable of understanding the NTSC colour signal; from what you say, yours is.

2) The frame rate is different. On PAL, the frame rate is 25hz i.e., each full picture takes 1/25 second to display before moving on to the next. On NTSC it is 30hz. This means a faster refresh rate for NTSC. Unless you have a "100hz" TV you may notice this as reduced "flicker" on bright parts of the picture.

3) The number of horizontal lines making up the picture is different. On PAL it is 625 (of which 576 are actually used for the picture). On NTSC 525 total, 480 used. This means that the vertical definition of an NTSC picture is slightly lower than on PAL although for practical purposes you are unlikely to notice any difference, unless you sit very close to a very large screen.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No problem to be expected if the TV supports RGB or NTSC. R1 rulez! :D