Question What Denon AVR's can EQ dual subs individually?

WozzaB

Just toying with the idea of changing my Denon X2300W.

I have recently upgraded to dual XXLS400 subs, they sounds very good with basic setup, but I'm looking at maybe a MiniDSP or Anti-mode, but then hearing that some AVR's can EQ 2 subs individually got me interested. Also not sure if any Anti-Mode other than the Dual Core can do 2 subs at individually?

Would the lowest model Denon that is able to EQ the subs individually do a good job?

Kind of stuck between the options, MiniDSP, Anti-Mode or AVR with better sub EQ:confused:

andym81

Just toying with the idea of changing my Denon X2300W.

I have recently upgraded to dual XXLS400 subs, they sounds very good with basic setup, but I'm looking at maybe a MiniDSP or Anti-mode, but then hearing that some AVR's can EQ 2 subs individually got me interested. Also not sure if any Anti-Mode other than the Dual Core can do 2 subs at individually?

Would the lowest model Denon that is able to EQ the subs individually do a good job?

Kind of stuck between the options, MiniDSP, Anti-Mode or AVR with better sub EQ:confused:
You need at least 3500. Pick one up for around £550. I'm running a 4300 with dual subs and does a good job imo

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Have you got a decent microphone and REW? You might be able to bring about a lot of improvements by optimising position / orientation and phase of the subs.

WozzaB

You need at least 3500. Pick one up for around £550. I'm running a 4300 with dual subs and does a good job imo
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if the 3500 could EQ subs individually or not.

Have you got a decent microphone and REW? You might be able to bring about a lot of improvements by optimising position / orientation and phase of the subs.
I am looking at picking up a mic, this is all still a bit new to me so still figuring out my best plan of action, cheers!

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Any particular reason I have an angry emoji from you @Nayfne? Did I ask something that I shouldn't have?
Whoops, my bad mate, I must have accidentally done this with my stupid big thumbs lol, sorry dude.

Dolus

As far as I know no Denon AVR with Audyssey XT32 can EQ subs individually. The distances and levels are set individually but are then EQ'd as one. This is considered best practice.

As your subs are the same it will work fine. Problems only occur if the two subs are radically different. No need to spend money unnecessarily.

WozzaB

As far as I know no Denon AVR with Audyssey XT32 can EQ subs individually. The distances and levels are set individually but are then EQ'd as one. This is considered best practice.

As your subs are the same it will work fine. Problems only occur if the two subs are radically different. No need to spend money unnecessarily.
Thanks for the info, my AVR only has XT, so it can't set individual distances and levels, it just treats the subs as one for everything.

WozzaB

Update time!
I ended up getting a Denon 3500H with XT32 & SubEQ HT, it seems to have done a nice job smoothing out the 2 subs.
One question though, I believe the SubEQ HT sorts out the timing between the 2 subs, but it doesn't do anything with the phase?
I ran Audyssey with both subs phase on 0, got them to around 78db individually at the MLP using an spl meter, but when I tested both together it still read 78db ish, so I set the phase on the rear sub to 180 and tested them together again, got around 81db this time.

So I presume you still have to sort the phase yourself with SubEQ HT?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Update time!
I ended up getting a Denon 3500H with XT32 & SubEQ HT, it seems to have done a nice job smoothing out the 2 subs.
One question though, I believe the SubEQ HT sorts out the timing between the 2 subs, but it doesn't do anything with the phase?
I ran Audyssey with both subs phase on 0, got them to around 78db individually at the MLP using an spl meter, but when I tested both together it still read 78db ish, so I set the phase on the rear sub to 180 and tested them together again, got around 81db this time.

So I presume you still have to sort the phase yourself with SubEQ HT?
Phase is determined by the distance settings. If each sub has its own independant distance setting then each sub will have independant phase adjustement. Timiming is determined by the distance settings onboard AV receivers.

WozzaB

Phase is determined by the distance settings. If each sub has its own independant distance setting then each sub will have independant phase adjustement. Timiming is determined by the distance settings onboard AV receivers.
Thanks for the reply.

So the distance it sets for each sub should sort the phase? The subs are not equidistant, one is a lot closer the the MPL than the other, but I presumed SubEQ HT would sort all of it, but it's not getting the phase/distance correct according to the spl readings I've taken, or am I getting it wrong?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I read some negative reviews on the Audyssey app Is it worth the purchase? Would i need a laptop near the Amp is self?
Thanks for the reply.

So the distance it sets for each sub should sort the phase? The subs are not equidistant, one is a lot closer the the MPL than the other, but I presumed SubEQ HT would sort all of it, but it's not getting the phase/distance correct according to the spl readings I've taken, or am I getting it wrong?
Each sub would need a seperate and independant distance setting in order to have different phase settings to one another. It is the distance setting that determines the timing and the syncronisation. If there's only one distance setting for both sub's then you'd need to make adjustments on the subs themselves to adjust the phase and timing.

WozzaB

Each sub would need a seperate and independant distance setting in order to have different phase settings to one another. It is the distance setting that determines the timing and the syncronisation. If there's only one distance setting for both sub's then you'd need to make adjustments on the subs themselves to adjust the phase and timing.
SubEQ HT does set a separate distance for each sub, that's why I was a little confused that it seemed to be out of phase according to spl readings and my ears(when adjusting the rear sub phase), I left both subs on 0 phase when letting Audyssey do it's thing, couldn't find anything to say otherwise.

dante01

Distinguished Member
There may be an issue with the location of one of the subs, hence why reversing the phase on one unit has the results you then get?
It is generally suggested to leave a sub's integral phase set to 0 even if dealing with AV receivers that allow for more than one sub to be connected, but share the same EQ and settings for both. You may find this article of interest: