1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What decoder to get??

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by funkedup, Nov 25, 2004.

1. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hiya guys i posted a similar comment in the console section but thought this question would be better here!!

I've got a new 27" widescreen Logik LCD TV and have heard that the picture is really good but the speakers lets it down somewhat. But i always planned on getting a surround sound setup anyway so the speakers dosn't bother me!!

I will have my Xbox which is also my DVD player hooked up to it through the advance scart cable (could go componant as TV supports it but invloves modding the xbox :rolleyes: )

With this advance scart it has an optical output so want to get a dolby digital decoder (sorry if thats not the right terminology..new to this :rolleyes: ) I will alos wnat to hook up my TV to the decoder so that when i'm watching TV i get good sound too.

Had my eye on the Logitech Z680 but with these being pc speakers not sure if its the best way to go!!

Any ideas guys??
    Hope you can help

Funked

2. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Right i've just been offered this:

Yamaha RX-V350 with these warfendale speakers (not sure which model they are cos the main site is down but here is a picture of them

[​IMG]

Would this be better than the Logitech Z680 setup??

Sorry for the question but i'm new to this

Cheers
    Funked

3. nickhor

nickhor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i too have just bought the logik sound can be a little thin but i use a sub woofer with it a K9 sub from M&K .analogue signals from Sky dvd are more than acceptable ..feed it component or pc d15pin and the picture is good
    Scart is composite and therefore you get slight smearing although nothing too bad ..you can fix the sound... the picture you will be rewarded if you feed it well ..my son has an xbox with component vgood ...pc speakers are not the way i would go look out for bargains on ebay or here..do the research ...by the way i paid a£150 for the sub on this forum :D

4. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks mate

Right the logitech speakers are out of the window now :laugh:

So what about the Yamaha RX-V350 decoder and wharfdale moviestar 60 5.1 speakers would that be any better??

I will have to use the Xbox through the scart because my Xbox is PAL and these do not have the HD support as it has been disabled. If i chip the xbox i can unlock it and i may then use componant then. But for the time being i will use the advance scart set up which will allow my to use the optical output of the xbox (hence why i am looking for digital decoders!!)

5. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Need help guys!!

Need to know if i should go for the Yamaha RX-350 with the wharfdale moviestar 60 5.1 speakers??

I did come across this set up which is the same amp but it comes with different speakers

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_21653.html

So what do you think go with this set up for my home cinema or something else??

Baring in mind this is my first home cinema set up!!

Cheers guys hope you can help!!