What DAC for Cyrus prevs2/8 power with Dynaudio 140?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MrToes, Feb 10, 2009.

1. MrToes

MrToes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone!

I have recently bought a shiny new Cyrus pre vs2/8 power with Dynaudio 140 speakers. They are wonderful, but as I anticipated are now being totally let down by my Sony CD3000Ex series CD player from the early 90s :) I plan to stream lossless audio over a network, so yes it's DAC time.

My question is, if I get a £200 DAC like the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic or the Musical Fidelity V-DAC, is it going to totally let down my system? I think the CD player I used to demo the system with was a £600 Cyrus CD player and that was a damn sight better than what my Sony kit is doing.

I know Cyrus do a >£1000 DAC (the Cyrus DAC X), but spending that sort of money on top of what I have already is not a decision to be taken lightly!

I don't think I will be able to do listening tests with the DAC Magic/V-DAC, but for £200 am quite happy to blind buy if it sounds like it'll be up to the job.

Many thanks,

Matthew.

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Is this the CDP-3000ES shoebox champagne player ?

If it is you have a very good CDP already. An audiophile classic.

3. MrToes

MrToes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Cjross,

Yes, that's the one! It served me very well with the matching sony amp and a pair of KEF Q60s for many years. It's nice to know it's got a good reputation, sadly I'm moving away from the world of CDs.

That does make me wonder whether the quality differential may be down to other components, i.e. cheap speaker/phono leads, hard floor surfaces, also the Cyrus gear is only a couple of days broken in (the Dynaudios are ex-demo so no probs there). There's definitely a difference in resolution between the setup at home and at the time of demo.

Cheers,

Matthew.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Take it from me old chap we have very similar speakers, your Foci need a change in the amplification department rather than changing your very decent source (I had the TAF-3000ES amp as my first amp). I have experimented with different amplification (Primare/Harman Kartdon/Sony ES) into my Contours and all have changed the output from the Dynaudios. I’d sell your Cyrus gear mate, it is highly regarded and will sell well, but you can get better amps even pre-amp wise towards your speakers. Maybe look at changing the Cyrus PAs, I have heard Rotel PAs off Cyrus pres and much prefer it to the Cyrus PAs. Sounds like you have a "bright" sound coming from the Cyrus gear and hard flooring adds to that, maybe rugs and some throws may have. Cables won't IMHO, they dont act as tone controls. I think you'll get a fuller sound out of different amps.

5. MrToes

MrToes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks cjruss but I've just bought the kit, I'm not about to sell it straight away :) I do appreciate your comments though. What I will do is try out my Sony amp against the Cyrus gear. I will be shocked if it's anywhere close... We will see!

I'm actually very happy with the characteristics of the sound, it's full and smooth and not bright at all. Unlike those Monitor Audio GS10s I tried! My observation is simply that it doesn't have the resolution that it did when I demoed it - I was 100% happy with the sound in the store, so I'm pretty cool with the combination I have. I demoed almost every amp/speaker combination in the shop btw, including the Roksan K2 which was the only one that got close with the Dynaudios.

I think my room setup could do with looking at. The speakers are in the corner - if you saw the shape of my living room you'd know why - and are sitting directly on a desk, not on monitor stands. The wires are somewhat oxidised and need stripping down. The walls and floor are bare, though I don't know how much difference that makes.

BTW, with respect to the original question, does anyone have a view on how the DACMagic or similar will perform with this setup? (sorry cjruss cds are so last decade ;))

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Ahh nice speakers, very similar to Neat Ultimatum stand mounts. Good boogey factor. More music and less HiFi :thumbsup:You need a powerful amp to make these sing and the Cyrus aint it. Nice pair of Naim 135s would do it or an LFD Zero LE III.

However, this is the best part........like the Ultimatums, those speakers take an age to run in 100+ hours of constant use (get a bassy CD on repeat for about a week and stick the speakers face to face wired out of phase to minimise noise). The shop was probably using a pair that are well run in. Try that first before looking at an amp swap.

7. MrToes

MrToes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi karkus!

I found the problem - in my haste to get everything set up at home, I was using massively oxidised copper cables. You should have seen them, they were practically black at the ends. I stripped them down and the difference is night and day :clap:

I love the dynaudios - clear and transparent, warm and they just sing, great bass too :) They were not as transparent and revealing as the pmc db1is, and didn't have the resolution at the top end of the MA GS10s, but the former I found totally unmusical and the latter very bright. Speakers are a very personal choice, indeed.

Interesting what you say about the amp and I'd heard the same before - I tried the Roksan Kandy K2 with them which throws out substantially more watts than the Cyrus gear, but it just didn't have the grip over the speakers that the Cyrus do. Also the midrange was very thick with the Roksan, the Arcam I tried was very flat (probably just accurate ;)) and the integrated Cyrus gear just folded.

I'll look at upgrades when the time comes but for now I'm just sitting back and enjoying :)

Going to order the DACMagic now, hope it holds up against this gear...

8. MrToes

MrToes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a quick follow up - I got the DAC Magic last night, and first impressions are good. I had a quick A/B between the DAC Magic and my Sony CDP-3000ES and was hard pushed to hear much difference (which if the CDP is supposed to be that good is surely a good thing!) - Once I have my speakers set up correctly (some room issues to sort out) and a bit more time on my hands I'll do a proper test and post my findings on the DAC Magic thread. No more CDs for me, wheeeee! :)