Question What DAC+Amp for RX6s?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by tpheiska, Apr 19, 2016.

1. tpheiska

tpheiska
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new living room geometry doesn't really support my current setup of Cambridge Audio azur 540r+Monitor Audio RX6 fronts + Usher S-520 II rears. I was thinking of selling the 6.1 amp and the rears and buying a DAC (CA Dacmagic 100 or plus) and an amp in the range of 400£ Any good suggestion for a linear power amplifier with two channels? Or comments on my strategy generally? My main source is digital output optically from my TV to which I input from aerial or tablet. Maybe buying an LP player later.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    I'm pretty sure you posted this on REDDIT, I responded there.

Steve/bluewizard

3. tpheiska

tpheiska
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    Note: I'm recommending STEREO amps, if you want an AV Receiver, you have to make that clear.

For those not following along, I recommended the -

- Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver
    - Pioneer Sx-N30 Network Receiver

I just noticed you are looking for a 2-Channel POWER Amp. Do you intend to use the existing AV Receiver as a Pre-Amp for a 2-Channel Power Amp?

You really haven't given us a working budget, but if you want a reasonably high quality Power Amp at a very low price, consider this -

Behringer A500 Ultra-Linear Studio Reference Amp -

Behringer A500 Ultra-Linear Reference Amplifier | DV247

Behringer Ultra-linear Reference Amplifier A500

A500 | Studio Monitor Amplifiers | Power Amplifiers | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Group

They like to inflate the power on amps like this, but you can get a solid 125w/ch to an 8 ohm load.

If you want to move to Hi-Fi Power Amps, then plan on spending a considerable amount of money -

Marantz MM7025 AV Power Amplifier Black

Rotel RB1552 MKII Power Amplifier

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  5. tpheiska

tpheiska
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the additional links! I am sure I'm misusing terminology here, sorry about that. My idea is to have a DAC to produce a line level analog signal, with as little distortion and a linear frequency response. Then an amplifier, again with a linear response, feeds the signal to the two speakers. The idea was that after the D/A conversion, there would be as little change to the signal as possible.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    You have an AV Receiver, doesn't it have Digital Inputs (optical/coaxial)?

The Cambridge DACMagic 100 is a very decent DAC at a very decent price. So, if that is what you want, no problem there.

But I'm unclear where you are going to use the DAC. To connect what to what?

Steve/bluewizard

7. tpheiska

tpheiska
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok let me try to clarify, thanks for your help. Currently I have my playback devices (Blu-ray player and a tablet) connected to my TV via HDMI. I use an optical cable from my TV to my 6.1 Amp. From the amp I drive my front and rear speakers. This leaves a lot of the capabilities of the amp unused, and, as a colleague of mine pointed out, there's already about 100$ sitting around in the decoding licenses of the chips of the amp that are of no use. So, my system is seriously under performing dollar for dollar. My idea was that I will sell the amp and the rear speakers, get maybe 400Eur from them, pitch around the same sum and try to get a more elegant two speaker system with a separate DAC (best conversion) and a separate amplifier (best amplification). Does this help?

8. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    So ... the 6.1 Amp doesn't have HDMI connections?

Why a separate DAC?

Do you plan to buy Stereo or Surround Sound?

It is going to be hard to find a Surround Sound system for €400.

Steve/bluewizard