What CRT?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by tayloran9, Sep 18, 2007.

1. tayloran9

tayloran9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I know there are similar threads but they often go off on tangents and so would like to start a new one specific to my queries...
    Basically, my wife would like to get a 32" TV and I also feel it's time to upgrade from our trusty 21" Wharfdale! LCD and Plasma are definitely off the menu due to atrocious picture quality at anything lower than HD. New top brand CRT's seem to be very hard to come by so I want to get a good one before they all disappear off the face of the planet! We've seen a JVC-HV32D40BK for £435 at Empire Direct but this model didn't get such a good review from Home Cinema Choice for it's SD Freeview picture quality. Basically, our viewing revolves around digital Freeview and about a DVD a week - so to my queries...
    1) Is this JVC a good buy for our standard viewing habits - bearing in mind that I couldn't tolerate any geommetry issues or digital processing artifacts. If not, what do you recommend?
    2) Does Freeview picture quality inherently deteriorate the larger the screen size? e.g. our current 21" picture is crystal clear and I'm concerned a larger screen will reduce this quality
    3) Do I actually need a 100hz TV for Freeview? (our current 50hz appears to work beautifully)
    4) Would I be better off waiting for newer CRT's (if any are actually around the corner) like the new Samsung Slimfits?
    Know it's a lot but any advice would be greatly appreciated as they no longer seem to have CRT's in showrooms, thanks.

2. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    1) I wouldn't bother with the JVC-HV32D40BK since the Samsung Ultra Slimfits are just around the corner and should be priced around the £400 - £500 mark.

2) Well, ofcourse picture quality does deteriorate on a larger screen displaying a low resolution (SD) picture which is why most people say you really only need a big screen TV for watching high-definition stuff. I have a Toshiba 32ZP48 and freeview looks great on it but it can't match my bedroom TV, a 21" Sony KV-21LS30U because of its smaller screen.

3) I loathe 100Hz. It introduces more problems than it actually solves. 50Hz is the way to go but there are not as many 50Hz sets about nowadays.

4) My advice to you is to wait for the new Samsung Ultra Slimfit range which Mofoman stated are scheduled to be released around Nov/Dec 07. Not much longer to wait and if the sets turn out to be good you will have a futureproof CRT which is HD Ready and has HDMI inputs.

3. tayloran9

tayloran9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eiji83,
    yes I think that makes sense to me, thanks for your advice, think I'll definitely wait for the new Samsungs and make my decision then
    cheers