1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what crt tvs have progressive scan and do i need it?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cypher007, Jan 3, 2005.

1. cypher007

cypher007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i mostly watch dvd's and the odd program. i have a dd/dts amp and an old philips ondigital box. ive been told pro-scan is the way to go.

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Cypher007,

Before you get too deeply into this Progressive Scan thing, can I suggest that you go to a dealer and ask for a demo.

Some people think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Others can't see the difference.

Think how much you'll save if you're one of the latter! :laugh:

Good luck. :thumbsup:

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No domestic CRT TV's do progressive scan (with the possible exception of a few 100Hz TV's that might do it). All CRT TV's scan the picture in "interlaced" mode, which is where you scan all the even numbered lines, then scan all the odd numbered lines. With progressive scan, the picture elements (we can't really call them lines) are scanned sequentially.

Many DLP TV's and projectors benefit from progressive scan, as do LCD displays and some (but not all) plasmas.

For a more detailed explanation of progressive scan, see here

4. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few - the Tosh 32 and 36ZP38/48, and the 42, 51 and 57WH36 RPTV, but I think that sadly the excellent WH36 series is no longer available. Panasonic PD30 and PD50, JVC HV-28 and 32D40 are all capable of progressive scan as well. There are bound to be others, but that's what I found from a ten minute search of three company websites.

5. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have a zp48 with prog scan and have had mixed results.Some discs look fantastic in progressive ,some look the same or worse than interlaced.A lot of course depends on which player you have .

6. cypher007

cypher007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i have a pc with a sigma designs xcard. its capable of serveral pro-scan modes and has s-video, rgb, comp, and component out.

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm

its also capable of playing divx and xvid mpeg4 stuff, really useful :thumbsup:
    if you have broadband inet.

7. chris45

chris45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a jvc hv28d40 (capable of accepting p. scan via component) and a panasonic e95H DVD recorder that outputs p. scan via component.

The difference between progressive and interlaced is difficult to spot (my subjective view) and I certainly wouldn't advise you to spend much extra to have progressive scan. The component connections however give a clearer colour than RGB on this set up (again my subjective opinion).

Just another point. The panasonic manual states that it doesn't recommend using p. scan output with a CRT. So check before you buy. (I havent noticed a problem myself. the manual says flickering might occur)

8. anna the dub

anna the dub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

I have a jvc hv32d40 and I agree with chris45. On some dvds I have noticed an improved picture but on others nothing. One thing I have noticed is that dvds recorded on my pioneer 420 do look cleaner playing on my prog dvd player. And all dvds do have a clearer colour as well. If I didn't have prog scan, I don't think I would be missing much. If your decision is influenced on whether prog scan is available, I think you would be making a mistake. Its nice to have but not a deal breaker.