Question What crossover point for Monitor Audio Bronze BX5's

JonnyTester

I've picked up a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX5's and I'm pretty impressed with them. I've gone for them as they are a match for my centre speaker, so sonically, the front is sounding very good. But I'm not sure what crossover point I should use for my sub. I have an Onkyo TX NR-686 receiver and the crossover goes from 200Hz down to 40Hz, or Full Band for, erm, full band speakers. Realistically I'd love to be running them on full band and get rid of the sub altogether, but the depth of bass just isn't there. And I can't afford anything else. So maybe someone can give me a bit of a heads up on setting the correct crossover point?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
80hz is quite ideal for the mains and centre for movies. So at your Onkyo menu after you have run AccuEQ set them 80hz. For your subwoofer behind it turn the frequency (hz) knob to highest hz / lfe, phase 0, volume/gain knob 10-12clock.

JonnyTester

80hz is quite ideal for the mains and centre for movies. So at your Onkyo menu after you have run AccuEQ set them 80hz. For your subwoofer behind it turn the frequency (hz) knob to highest hz / lfe, phase 0, volume/gain knob 10-12clock.

Thank you. I will certainly give that a try.

Psycho Sonny

I have bx6's which have better bass.

There is a lot of conflicting information and what I read stated anything between 80-120hz is fine.

The higher you set it the less demand will be placed on your avr. The lower you set it the more bass will come from the speakers leaving the sub to just deal with everything below that level.

Do you want your bass to be coming from the sub or floorstanders? Personally I prefer it coming from the sub so I have mine set to 120hz even though bx6's are more capable in that department compared to bx5.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

I personally couldn't tell any difference between them.

rudd843

Novice Member
Did you mean you can't tell the difference between the BX5 and BX6 or where the crossover is set ?

Conrad

I have bx6's which have better bass.

There is a lot of conflicting information and what I read stated anything between 80-120hz is fine.

The higher you set it the less demand will be placed on your avr. The lower you set it the more bass will come from the speakers leaving the sub to just deal with everything below that level.

Do you want your bass to be coming from the sub or floorstanders? Personally I prefer it coming from the sub so I have mine set to 120hz even though bx6's are more capable in that department compared to bx5.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

I personally couldn't tell any difference between them.

Bass starts to become localisable above about 80Hz (some say as low as 60Hz) so having 120Hz come from the subs could cause an issue if your subs aren't near your mains, or you have a single sub.

You also start to move into the frequency range where timbre and tone start to have an effect which is another consideration.

If you can't tell the difference though then awesome!

And you're right, lower frequencies take more power to drive which is why sub amps are so disproportionally powerful when compared to AVRs. This only really starts to matter below about 350/125Hz where it really starts to rise. From memory I think the power required start to double every octave (halving of frequency) so 10kHz only takes twice as much as 20kHz for that whole range, but 15Hz takes twice as much as 30Hz, which is obviously a much narrower range.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom