What CPU

S

simon_beard89

I have a ASRock K7S8X motherboard currently running an amd xp athlon 2000+ with 1g of pc3200 ram (unclocked)

I want to upgrade this to a faster chip. However since I built this Pc up a few years ago there seams to be a wider range of chips avalible and my knowllage is a little out of date.

Can anyone advise what would be best for all round performance, I was thinking an amd athlon 3000+ off ebay.

"CPU - Socket Socket 462 , supporting AMD Athlon, Athlon XP, Duron
- FSB 333/266/200 MHz", thats the spec for the board!

Thanks

nwgarratt

I upgraded from the same CPU to a Athlon 64 3700 last Febuary. If I built another now it would have to be dual core.

You would likely have to build a whole new PC as the board is out of date. It also might mean you will need different RAM.

S

simon_beard89

I can see your point, just don't feel like changed the board got this pc set up just how I want it and I bet I would have to buy another copy of windows if I changed the board and chip!

nwgarratt

You might not need new windows. When I changed computers, I just activated windows I already had on the new PC.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
If you can find an XP2500 or XP2600 MOBILE cpu, they can overclock pretty well and give you better performance than the old 'top of the range' XP3200. As your motherboard won't go above FSB333 you can use a higher multiplier with a mobile (as they are unlocked). I don't know what the overclocking options are in your bios however, so there is a possiblity that the mobile may only run at stock speed, ie little better than your XP2000.

Having said all that, I've moved my PC3200 RAM and AGP graphics card into an ASRock Dual Vista motherboard that cost £37 plus an OEM E6300 CoreDuo for £110 and its much faster than my old XP2600 mobile and that was overclocked to 2.5GHz.....

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom