What CPU can i upgrade to?

bernardo

Novice Member
Reaction score
So i have a lenovo thinkpad and it has a socket to change the CPU but the problem is i dont know what CPUs are compatible with the socket and with the motherboard.
there is a document about the various processors that can be used on this model on lenovos site but it´s kind of outdated and i was wondering if a more recent CPU would work and what is the range of CPUs i can use.

So i have a lenovo thinkpad and it has a socket to change the CPU but the problem is i dont know what CPUs are compatible with the socket and with the motherboard.
there is a document about the various processors that can be used on this model on lenovos site but it´s kind of outdated and i was wondering if a more recent CPU would work and what is the range of CPUs i can use.
You will need to detail the exact Lenovo Thinkpad model you have for anyone to have any hope in answering this. Note that despite quoting a socket, you'll often find the CPU is soldered into the mainboard, meaning a swap is not possible without replacing the entire motherboard (the manual is simply listing the other configurations). You also won't be able to replace with a more recent CPU - at best you'll be able to upgrade within the range at the time - and note that actually finding and buying a laptop CPU can be particularly difficult.

You will need to detail the exact Lenovo Thinkpad model you have for anyone to have any hope in answering this. Note that despite quoting a socket, you'll often find the CPU is soldered into the mainboard, meaning a swap is not possible without replacing the entire motherboard (the manual is simply listing the other configurations). You also won't be able to replace with a more recent CPU - at best you'll be able to upgrade within the range at the time - and note that actually finding and buying a laptop CPU can be particularly difficult.
It is a thinkpad E330 and the CPU in this model is not soldered to the motherbord, i was expecting not to be able to use some of the most recent but how can i know what the max version i can use? Is there a way to know? Btw i have an i7 2640M and i've read that it is the best you can get but its from a outdated source.

It is a thinkpad E330 and the CPU in this model is not soldered to the motherbord, i was expecting not to be able to use some of the most recent but how can i know what the max version i can use? Is there a way to know? Btw i have an i7 2640M and i've read that it is the best you can get but its from a outdated source.
There are some suggestions online that the best model it would support is a Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz). However, that's a different CPU generation, so not clear if it requires a different laptop revision or BIOS update.

However, this model is so old - you would be far better served by buying a new laptop, whether brand new or a Thinkpad refurb - and you would see noticeably better performance.

There are some suggestions online that the best model it would support is a Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz). However, that's a different CPU generation, so not clear if it requires a different laptop revision or BIOS update.

However, this model is so old - you would be far better served by buying a new laptop, whether brand new or a Thinkpad refurb - and you would see noticeably better performance.
I've seen that document but since the last modification was made in 2015 i was wondering if there would be newer CPUs that would work.
It actually runs pretty smothlly but if there was a much better CPU option i would try to upgrade it a little bit more.
Thanks for your answer.

I've seen that document but since the last modification was made in 2015 i was wondering if there would be newer CPUs that would work.
It actually runs pretty smothlly but if there was a much better CPU option i would try to upgrade it a little bit more.
Thanks for your answer.
Intel change their sockets between generations (usually) and even if they don't, there are normally other changes (e.g. to power distribution) that prevent you using newer CPUs.

In this case, the rPGA 988B socket only supports the 2xxx and 3xxx CPUs, so I'm afraid it's only CPUs that are 8-9 years old now that will work.

Alright, thanks. By the way for example if the CPU is a i5 2500k despite it being a "2500" its not compatible because the K model is one of the more recent right?

Yup, nobody releases CPUs for very long after the socket is replaced.

Alright, thanks. By the way for example if the CPU is a i5 2500k despite it being a "2500" its not compatible because the K model is one of the more recent right?

No, the 2500k is one of the first models of that design to be released. It's not compatible because the k suffix is Intel's highest power level designed for desktops and it uses a different socket to the laptop models (LGA 1155 IIRC).

Last edited:
Yup, nobody releases CPUs

No, the 2500k is one of the first models of that design to be released. It's not compatible because the k suffix is Intel's highest power level designed for desktops and it uses a different socket to the laptop models (LGA 1155 IIRC).
Thanks a lot!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom