What Cord Needed to Stream from Canon Vixia HV30 camcorder to laptop

Tecaquitha

Novice Member
I want to stream my recorded video from the camcorder to my laptop. What cord do I need to do that
I have a Firewire DV cable 6-4 P DV but my laptop doesn't have a port for that.
I just ordered the IFC 300 PCU USB cable, but then read a post from 2006 that said that cord is only for still shots.
I also tried HDMI cord, but the laptop didn't seem to recognize the camcorder as a device.
Any help here? Can I get an adapter for the Firewire? Maybe so I can plug it into my 15-pin VGA?
THANKS for any advice

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Sorry, none of those options will work. Firewire needs a specific socket on the laptop and can only be retrofitted if you have an older laptop with an Express Card 34 slot available. USB to Firewire won't work.

Your camcorder can only output still images via USB, not live video.

HDMI on your laptop is an output, not input, as is the VGA port.

Your only options are to buy a camera that will stream via USB - lots of the Canon DSLRs will do this, or use a USB Video capture device and use the composite video output from the camcorder. This will look very poor compared to current web cams and cameras that can output 1080p.

Tecaquitha

Novice Member
Sorry, none of those options will work. Firewire needs a specific socket on the laptop and can only be retrofitted if you have an older laptop with an Express Card 34 slot available. USB to Firewire won't work.

Your camcorder can only output still images via USB, not live video.

HDMI on your laptop is an output, not input, as is the VGA port.

Your only options are to buy a camera that will stream via USB - lots of the Canon DSLRs will do this, or use a USB Video capture device and use the composite video output from the camcorder. This will look very poor compared to current web cams and cameras that can output 1080p.
Thanks. Guess I need to hunt down an older laptop. I have a Latitude E6430 but it doesn't have the socket. I have old footage on several DV tapes I wanted to record/digitize via OBS Studio, so I can't buy another camera for that. Thanks for your thorough explanations!

Terfyn

Very true.
An alternative option is to buy a conventional PC. Or to buy a card based camcorder.

I had exactly the same problem with my HV20. My dealer fitted a FireWire card to my new PC tower and the problem was solved.
Now I use card based camcorders and, again, the problem is solved. Reason:- I was worried about wear on the tape based mechanism in the HV20. The plus is that you would not need to worry about timecode as the camera will put every shot into its own file. This makes setting up for an edit really easy.

Tecaquitha

Novice Member
Very true.
An alternative option is to buy a conventional PC. Or to buy a card based camcorder.

I had exactly the same problem with my HV20. My dealer fitted a FireWire card to my new PC tower and the problem was solved.
Now I use card based camcorders and, again, the problem is solved. Reason:- I was worried about wear on the tape based mechanism in the HV20. The plus is that you would not need to worry about timecode as the camera will put every shot into its own file. This makes setting up for an edit really easy.
That's a good idea. I can try seeing if I can get a firewire card in my PC. There will be more room in there maybe than in the laptop... Thanks so very much for that insight! I am stuck with this cassette-tape style camera for now since there is footage on several tapes that I want to view and possibly copy and only the HV30 will play them as far as I know. To get the copies made costs around $90 per tape (around here) and I have too many to afford that

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
It can be a bit hit and miss with the firewire cards, so find one with good reviews. Other than that, this will be your best route.

Just be aware you are capturing, not streaming video. You will therefore need capture software and some simple video editing to trim clips and save them in a more efficient format.

Tecaquitha

Novice Member
If I could get the camera to play the HD video tapes on my computer, then I would capture using OBS Studio, that's what I was thinking. OBS can capture any video that streams across the screen. But first things first, now I need to get the firewire card onto my PC. Thanks for the advice!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
If I could get the camera to play the HD video tapes on my computer, then I would capture using OBS Studio, that's what I was thinking. OBS can capture any video that streams across the screen. But first things first, now I need to get the firewire card onto my PC. Thanks for the advice!
That would not be a great way of doing things. You would be better to use a capture program that captures the digital information directly rather than just grabbing it from the screen. This will also cause you less issues with lip sync.

oneman

Easiest option for transferring video is to a get USB HDMI capture device. There are plenty available that are designed for capturing gaming but will be fine for you usage.

There are some firewire to thunderbolt adapters available if your laptop has thunderbolt. They are designed for Macs so don't know if they would work in Windows.

Terfyn

Easiest option for transferring video is to a get USB HDMI capture device. There are plenty available that are designed for capturing gaming but will be fine for you usage.
1) HDMI on a laptop is an output not an input.
2) As I recall, FireWire is the only metnod of transferring video from an HD series camera.

oneman

1) HDMI on a laptop is an output not an input.
2) As I recall, FireWire is the only metnod of transferring video from an HD series camera.
The camcorder has HDMI out, you could capture that video with a USB connected capture device.

FireWire has the advantage that you can transfer the data without it being re-encoded and potentially losing quality. But it's not very common these days, it was popular on Apple devices for a while which is why I suggested a thunderbolt to FireWire convertor if the laptop has thunderbolt.

Another alternative is get a very cheap old PC and get a PCI FireWire card for a tenner.

Finally if it's just one or two tapes then the cheapest option is just pay somebody, should be around £10 to £15 per tape.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom