• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

What content do you watch on your OLED?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I've had this pop up in a few debates over the past year; specifically around OLEDs and their ability to upscale 480p, 720p, 1080i/p broadcast material.

Now, I personally think this material looks awful on any screen which isn't a 1080p screen or if you put a video processor, such as a Lumagen into the chain FYI with marginal edge to Sony and Panasonic but nothing darastic (this is not including smooth gradiation where I think both brands pull ahead of LG et al.)

Anyway, my question is what content do you watch on your OLEDs? I see in debates people say 'hardly anyone watches 4K HDR blahblah'

My use case is literally:
1. 1080P blurays upscaled via MADVR
2. 4K UHD/HDR Blurays
3. 4K UHD/HDR Netflix
4. 4K UHD 60FPS video games OR 144p/120fps video games via PC
5. 4K videogames via PS4 Pro (soon to be PS5)
6. 1080p videogames via Nintendo Switch
7. 1080p/4K video streams of BBCiplayer/Sports when rarely available
8. 1080/4K Youtube videos
9. 1080p broadcast anime with subtitles, which MADVR cleans up okay (I could probably make it REALLY Clean it up but it'd require me to change settings everytime I watch anime which isn't worth it).

Basically in the year 2020, going 2021, I can say 99% of my usage is at the least 1080p high bitrate content or 4K UHD/HDR.

Are my use cases against the norm and the majority of users on this forum still watching/prioritising the bulk of their content on terrestial TV and DVDs?

Last edited:

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
The minute I bought my oled....I literally could not watch any of my considerable dvd collection and forget any content which is not HD on the tv...
in short, I can’t stand it and can immediately tell if the content is not right ( my wife doesn’t care but I do :)
I am thinking to get a ps5 with blu ray player but really struggling to get back to physical media...quality should be 4 folds better than streaming so tempting for £90 more...(my son argument)...

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
The minute I bought my oled....I literally could not watch any of my considerable dvd collection and forget any content which is not HD on the tv...
in short, I can’t stand it and can immediately tell if the content is not right ( my wife doesn’t care but I do :)
I am thinking to get a ps5 with blu ray player but really struggling to get back to physical media...quality should be 4 folds better than streaming so tempting for £90 more...(my son argument)...

Me too. I found the jump to better displays makes me want to step up my game quality of content wise.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Sky Q - HD and UHD
Netlfix
ATV
Amazon

Can’t image watching anything under 1080i

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Me too. I found the jump to better displays makes me want to step up my game quality of content wise.
Frankly, my old tv was not even HD :)
What I enjoy with oled and latest 4k and HDR is the jump in quality and dynamic range...
4k is not as impressive and I believe because the streaming quality is not that great. That’s why I need to try a player...
I wish we could choose a better streaming quality like for music...it will come hopefully...

i found it difficult to believe all the tv channels are not in HD by now...it is really bad that SD is still around.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Interesting. I've found fairly high quality 1080p, every device I have deals with it well and equally. Its the 720p and some 1080i stuff where differences occur AND also obviously dark scenes where different brands prioritise reducing noise or preserving detail.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Can someone tell me if it is worth getting a uhd player in ps5. Can’t compare with current streaming (Netflix 4k, amazon and sky HD)

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Can someone tell me if it is worth getting a uhd player in ps5. Can’t compare with current streaming (Netflix 4k, amazon and sky HD)

Yes, it is IMO. I would get a Panasonic dedicated 4K UHD player because they have HDR optimisier which basically allows better tone mapping for OLED displays taking into account the brightness capabilities of the panel.

If you don't need the best of the best, then a PS5 will do a fantastic job but as far as I'm aware, it won't do Dolby Vision content.

I'm currently keeping my eye out for a deal on a Panny 4K UHD BR player to play exclusively DV films as I prefer to use MADVR for HDR films so that I can clean up the image a tiny bit.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
I’m thinking of getting a dedicated player due to the inconsistency of streaming/bit rate/compression

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
I’m thinking of getting a dedicated player due to the inconsistency of streaming/bit rate/compression
Same here...but probably the one included in the Ps5...no DV is not an issue for me as I have a panny...I just want proper hdr10.
But I am sure that DV will be added later to pa5 as doesn’t make sense at all..

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Anyone currently using a uhd player and compared content to any 4k streaming?
can you see a big difference ?

sebna

My current use for Oled is:

C6 65:

1. Sky HD (wife) / F1 (me)
2. Some netfilx UHD some Amazon UHD some YT 1080p / 4k
3. 3D BDs

C9 65 (primary Oled now):

1. A lot of Netflix and Amazon and YT in UHD so streaming only

PJ:

1. Physical Media
2. Streaming

sebna

Anyone currently using a uhd player and compared content to any 4k streaming?
can you see a big difference ?

It is not huge but it is there. Streaming in UHD can look amazing even on 133" from 2.5m downscaled to 1080p (native for my PJ). Altough I have only tested so far with Altered Carbon which is good quality show from PQ point of view.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
~Sadly it looks like its only going to get worse as some providors continue to cut bandwith.
That’s what pissed me off and in fact you just helped me decide (thank you).
I am getting the ps5 with uhd blu ray player...it is no dedicated player but close enough...in the world of digital.
I will buy a good 100 movies I want to watch at maximum quality...

martin 39

I have a Panasonic oled hdr 10+ with a Panasonic ub420 player. With the optimizer and hdr 10+ I think 4k blu rays are stunning and well worth the money for discs especially when the deals are on. I also have sky q woth hdr netflix amazon and disney. No atmos unfortunately just a old arcam avr 400 with 5.1. But still sounds great to me. As for the family basically could not care less. They dont even bother with hd. Buy all accounts there is no difference.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Streaming anywhere between 360p to 720p
Blurays
Odd dvd
No broadcast TV - yet

Internet is too slow for 1080p/4k

We're waiting for the fiber to be connected, then viewing habits will change for the better.

A7 oled so only 1080p panel.

numskull1980

I do actually watch a lot of 4k HDR content on mine, Im mostly gaming on it, my old lg sj800v would only do 120hz at 1080, now im running 90% of my games at 1440p 120 and they look fantastic.... The few i still have at 1080p (red dead 2 being one) also look fantastic. I have around 20ish 4k discs and they all look amazing.... TBH i havent tried a blu ray or dvd yet, i expect blu ray to look ok, but DVD im expecting to look blocky/pixellated.

I actually went OLED because im watching a lot more 4k content, i can game at a higher resolution and framerate (even better next year when i get new gpu) and although it didnt really bother me in gaming, the local dimming on my old tv really annoyed me while watching movies.

Edit: LG 55CX, owned for a month

sebna

I do actually watch a lot of 4k HDR content on mine, Im mostly gaming on it, my old lg sj800v would only do 120hz at 1080, now im running 90% of my games at 1440p 120 and they look fantastic.... The few i still have at 1080p (red dead 2 being one) also look fantastic. I have around 20ish 4k discs and they all look amazing.... TBH i havent tried a blu ray or dvd yet, i expect blu ray to look ok, but DVD im expecting to look blocky/pixellated.

I actually went OLED because im watching a lot more 4k content, i can game at a higher resolution and framerate (even better next year when i get new gpu) and although it didnt really bother me in gaming, the local dimming on my old tv really annoyed me while watching movies.

Edit: LG 55CX, owned for a month

Blu ray looks great on 133" from 2.5m. Also looks great on Oled :)

4k looks better but not because of resolution but because of HDR.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom