What console to get?

Sy13

Standard Member
I am a long term PlayStation gamer (PSOne, 2, and PS4 Pro.) However, having suffered with disc drive failure recently, and despising the look of the PS5, I am tempted by Xbox S or X, but not sure which one. Some things I would like to know...

• Is there an Xbox that doesn't have a disc drive? I would rather download games from their version of the PS Store if possible so I don't get stuck with a dozen games I can't play because the drive is useless.
  • Backwards compatibility looks great. Can I access the full back-catalogue of Xbox games to download to the new machine(s)? Is it simply plug and play (and pay) or do I need a subscription to something?
  • I'm not so bothered about the latest and most amazing graphics. I am used to PS4 graphics and perfectly happy.
  • What else should I be considering?

Thanks very much in advance.

S

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I am a long term PlayStation gamer (PSOne, 2, and PS4 Pro.) However, having suffered with disc drive failure recently, and despising the look of the PS5, I am tempted by Xbox S or X, but not sure which one. Some things I would like to know...

• Is there an Xbox that doesn't have a disc drive? I would rather download games from their version of the PS Store if possible so I don't get stuck with a dozen games I can't play because the drive is useless. The Series S is discless but not as powerful as the Series X and has half the SSD Space.
  • Backwards compatibility looks great. Can I access the full back-catalogue of Xbox games to download to the new machine(s)? Is it simply plug and play (and pay) or do I need a subscription to something? Most games are Back Compat be it disc or digital. Most if not all Xbox One Games are Back Compat, 360 and Original is a limited list. No Subscription needed, just pay and play.
  • I'm not so bothered about the latest and most amazing graphics. I am used to PS4 graphics and perfectly happy. Series S might be for you then. Games will look great but Series X will look better but it's £200 more. Worth checking some Youtube Comparison Videos I reckon.
  • What else should I be considering? Series S is more readily available to purchase at the moment, Series X still does come into stock but Series S is more attainable. Series S SSD is small compared to Series X, only like 380gb available compared to 800+ with the Series X. One other thing to consider is Games Pass Sub Service, loads of games for a small fee.
Thanks very much in advance.

S

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I think the Series S will be appealing if you’re a very light gamer. The problem is storage, ultimately I think the £220 1TB Expansion Card would be a necessary purchase to pair with the Series S. And when you factor the combined price of the Series S and the Expansion card in (£470) it’s more than the Series X (£450)... at which point I’d really just recommend going for the Series X.

I think the Series S makes the most sense as a secondary console. For example, a PS5 owner might find the Series S a good option as a Game Pass box, and as their secondary console the limited storage would be more manageable.

MisterRigsby

I bought an ’S’ a couple of months back and upgraded to the ‘X’ when Smyths had stock last week or so. The main reason was so I could buy and trade disc based games and save some money in the long run.

As you’ve said your not too bothered about having the most amazing graphics and if you’re happy to manage storage space then an ‘S’ and Gamepass would give you great value for money.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
If your not that fussed with 4k60fps then get the Xbox series S £250 then buy and external harddrive 2tb £55 3 years worth of gold £100 then convert that for £1 to ultimate

so for £406 and then your set up for gaming for the next 3 years

Sy13

Standard Member
If your not that fussed with 4k60fps then get the Xbox series S £250 then buy and external harddrive 2tb £55 3 years worth of gold £100 then convert that for £1 to ultimate

so for £406 and then your set up for gaming for the next 3 years
Where are you seeing the external HD for £55?

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Where are you seeing the external HD for £55?

I think he means you can buy an ext HDD for about £55 not the official Series S/X expansion drive.
Personally I would grab an ext SSD and enclosure if you went for the S and needed the extra space, takes minutes to transfer a pretty large game like 60gb +

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Im perfectly happy with a normal external hardrive runs quick enough for me you can get 5tb for £94.
That’s fine but you can’t play native series games off it. And given the number of older games that have some form of series patch it’s becoming problematic.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
That’s fine but you can’t play native series games off it. And given the number of older games that have some form of series patch it’s becoming problematic.

You just gotta manage the shuffle from external hard drive to the internal every now and then, it’s when Johnny Casual has the tiny internal stuffed to the gills with cod games that it becomes a 'thing'.

If someone is buying the Series S because it’s an ultra cheap console and then buying the official 1tb expansion then it’s no longer a cheap purchase, at that point they may as well have gone with Series X for the 1tb storage.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
correct me if im wrong but you cant play series x/s games off an external SSD either. you have to have the official series x/s 1tb expansion card for that.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
I think he means you can buy an ext HDD for about £55 not the official Series S/X expansion drive.
Personally I would grab an ext SSD and enclosure if you went for the S and needed the extra space, takes minutes to transfer a pretty large game like 60gb +

I’ve got an ancient external Samsung SSD on my Series X, that I moved over from my One X, it’s literally as quick as the internal (bar a second or two) so anything that runs from there I just play from there when the loads are just the same.

If they ever found a way for back compat games to tap into the new tech (Velocity stuff whatever it’s called) then this might change I guess. It’s a shame that 2tb SSD are still pricey even now, ideally if I’m buying that amount of storage I want all games to be able to run from it.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
correct me if im wrong but you cant play series x/s games off an external SSD either. you have to have the official series x/s 1tb expansion card for that.

Basically that’s correct yeah, you’ll notice some games that are marked as optimised for Series by the system will still run from external, I’m assuming because they are still titles originally developed on the older SDK or something, anyway someone on here showed me how to tell the difference. If you check the file info for the game, if it says Durango it will play from anywhere, if it says Scarlett then it needs to be on your internal or seagate expansion.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
I just stick all my games on the external and have the multipalyer game im currently playing on internal and the single player im currently playing on internal

Indiana Jones

Yep. Only internal or official add on drive.
Depends on the game, got plenty of Series S/X games that will run from external storage.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom