1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What connectors to link to my amp and tv

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by doncorleone, Apr 23, 2003.

1. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, ive just purchased the Sony speaker package HTDDW740S which comes with the reciever STR-DE485E and i was just wondering how it was possible to link to my tv so that football games and such used as many speakers as possible. My tv has a left and right line ins and a s video slot (however my reciever doesnt) it also has scart. So do you know of any way to connect without the obvious left and right connections? Or a way to make all speakers work with only left and right lines?

Thanks in advance :smashin:

2. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no one any ideas?

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pro-Logic/5 channel speaker mode?

Stereo phono output from the VCR or TV into the Sony package?

4. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

It all depends!

If your telly has left and right audio out phono jacks, you can connect these to equivalent on your receiver (I assume it has sets of these for various inputs). However, you only mention audio in sockets.

If you have more than one scart socket on your telly it might be that one of them is capable of working in output mode, commonly listed as "Monitor" in manuals. If this is the case you could connect a scart lead to three phonos to this, and plug the left and right sound phonos into your receiver.

As a last alternative, if you have a VCR, this probably has audio outs on it that can be connected to the receiver, and then you will just need to have the vcr on whatever channel you are watching to get the sound out of the receiver.

The receiver should have automatic or selectable pro-logic decoding of your LR signals so that you get sound out of all your speakers- rears will be combined however with pro-logic.

Hope this helps. More info about TV make, any other equipment, and connections on back of Sony receiver would help (nothing on Sony's website about this).

5. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont really get this... 'If you have more than one scart socket on your telly it might be that one of them is capable of working in output mode, commonly listed as "Monitor" in manuals. If this is the case you could connect a scart lead to three phonos to this, and plug the left and right sound phonos into your receiver.' the latter part. I do have twp scarts but how do i connect from scart then phono then into my reciever?

My tv is a oldish Panasonic, model Tx - 21v1. I also have a VCR with 2 scarts

cheers :)

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Is your TV nicam sterio? If not forget connecting it to your amp. In this case you will need to use your nicam (?) VCR. use a phono pair to phono pair lead.
    If TV is nicam then you will need a lead with a scart plug on one end and 2 phono plugs on the other (sterio sound only) or 3 phonos (sterio sound and video - ignore video phono), but only if one scart socket will output the sound.

Mark.

7. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right ok. yes it is nicam. any idea what places sell these cables? would somewhere like dixons do them? also how do i know if the scart outputs sound? Im guessing it does as i just use scart for sound and picture between my tv and dvd player

thanks

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    try:
    www.maplin.co.uk
    www.keene.co.uk
    www.lektropacks.co.uk

Sound/vision between DVD & TV is into the TV, you need sound out of the TV. Check the labels on the scart socket. If there is a box with an arrow pointing into the box then it is input only. If there is an arrow(s) pointing both directions then it is in & out.

Mark.

9. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,

According to Panasonics thoughtfully provided manual for you telly on their internet site, both of your scart sockets output sound and video as well as accept it(and your telly is Nicam stereo). So in theory you could get a Scart to 2 phono lead wired in that direction and use this to transmit sound to your receiver. I am assuming the sound/picture output on each scart socket is just whatever you are viewing.

Your AV1 is RGB compatible, and your AV2 is SVHS compatible (when accepting images).

Interestingly if you did manage to get the sound from your telly to go through your receiver all of the time, the manual says you can switch your telly speakers off by some sliders in the external speaker sockets at the rear. Don't know if this is advisable with nothing selected but I'd try it if it were me (if it broke I'd use that as an excuse to upgrade!).

Alternatively as I said before just get a 2phono to 2phono lead and connect your vcr's L&R outputs to your receiver. This might be best if you have a dvd player as your last mail suggests. The dvd player should be connected to scart AV1 and RGB should be output for the best picture quality and your vcr should be connected to scart AV2. You may be able to get a cable that connects VCR to TV via SCART and then takes the audio from the telly back to your receiver as all the wires for this are separate.

Try www.lektropaks.co.uk (think that's the spelling). I'll look when I get chance.

10. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks all so much for your help

one final question though, is it possible to get this sound to work without going onto av1 or 2 just because i prefer it not to be on either av's when viewing normally.

im guessing no but worth a shot

thanks again

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    You do not need to set your TV to AV1/2 to get the sound to the amp. If you do this then you will not get TV reception unless that input is being fed by a VCR etc. Just tune to BBC1 etc and the sound will be fed out of the scart to whatever it is plugged into (ie AV receiver). Setting the TV to the AV inputs is only for when you are feeding the TV with an external source ie DVD.

Mark.