What Connectors/Cables for Home Cinema System

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by cyb3rthug, Sep 21, 2007.

1. cyb3rthug

cyb3rthug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Looking for some help to try to make a decision on what connectors / cables I need to connect up my Home Cinema to my LCD, freeview and DVD.
    You will have to forgive my 'noobie' simplicity at some points in this but I really need help!!:confused:

I currently have the following..

Samsung le40m87bdx

Humax 9200 freeview box
    1 no Optical Digital Output
    1 no RGB Scart
    1 no Scart

JVC xv -3c DVD
    2 no analogue audio outputs
    1 no Coaxial output (s/pdif)
    1 no RGB Scart
    1 no RCA video output

and am looking at buying

Sony STRDA 1200 Receiver
    3 no Optical Digital inputs
    2 no coaxial digital inputs
    1 no HDMI output
    2 no HDMI Inputs

KEF 1005 speakers.

My LCD is going to be wall mounted and I am concerned about cables trailing everywhere, may chase them into the walls. Is it possible to connect everything upto my Sony 1200 and then just use one cable (like HDMI) to send the signal to the TV?

Any help is appreciated:thumbsup:

Cheers

2. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Hiya Mate,

From reading what you want to connect do you need to buy an amp with HDMI? At the present point in time with the equipment you have I don't believe you need that to be present on your amp. All I would do is connect your video leads direct to the tv and then plug your optical and coxial leads into your amp. HDMI amps are in their infancy really at the moment and you have to be careful what you buy, for example the sony 1200 will only pass video through the amp not video and audio via HDMI. If your plannning to invest in say a PS3 in the near future it's worth looking at a HDMI amp but even then the 1200 would not help much, you would have to be looking at spending £400 on something like the onkyo 605 to make the most of it.

3. cyb3rthug

cyb3rthug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dazza
    Thanks for the comments

Ive had a look at the Onkyo 605 and like the look of it, spec wise! I dont think you could actually like the physical look of it!

I am looking to upgrade dvd player in the future and thought that the HDMI route was easiest / best.

With the 605 upscaling could I just use a single HDMI cable to my TV?
    Cheers
    Chris