Answered What connector is this

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by MartinGH1369, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MartinGH1369

MartinGH1369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Howdie.
    Can anyone tell me what connector this is please?
    I want to replace the cheapo speakers on my hifi with some Mordaunt Short M10s that I bought but the stereo has these weird connectors on so I need to attach the connectors from the cheap speakers on to the M10s.

Attached Files:

2. Best Answer:
    Post #8 by BlueWizard, Feb 28, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +797
    They’re just an odd stereo speaker wire connector.

Cut off the ends used for connecting the speakers and use the bare wire instead, whilst leaving those connectors on to connect to the amp.

I assume one wire is red and the other a different colour? I’d assume the red to be positive. If not then just make sure they are wired in phase and you’re good to go.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    As above, to use them just cut it off and connect the bare wire to the new speakers.

I personally would be a little cautious however having tried to mix and match all-in-one budget items with "proper" hifi equipment doesn't always result in a good experience and whilst the whole setup currently may not sound great they are "matched" to each other. Obviously cutting off the connected will make going back more difficult depending on how good you are with soldering

5. MartinGH1369

MartinGH1369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I did think about that but I decided I don't want to do it as it means that I can't ever sell the stereo. Thanks the suggestion.

6. MartinGH1369

MartinGH1369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The thing is, the the future I couldn't sell the stereo on. No matter how good the soldering- I wouldn't buy a stereo with hacked up speakers.
    I was wanting to pry the white block off carefully and attach the silver bits to the new speaker wire and put them back in the white block to use. Reverse the steps when I want to separate the stereo and new speakers.

7. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +923
    It would be easier to cut the plugs off, leaving a few CM of wire coming out of the plugs for re-connecting the speakers back should you wish. You shouldn't have a problem selling it later judging by my experience. I sold a Sony system on EBay where I had previously cut the original speaker wires and re-joined with solder/heat shrink. As long as you mention the fact in the advert there should be no issues.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    The soldering will be inside the white block so wouldnt be visible. The wires should either push through (my guess) or pull out the white block. You can then see if the wire is currently soldered or crimped onto the metal connector. Either way you can release it/cut it off from it and then simply reverse this if you decide to off load the system as a whole.

Trying to attach a new wire to the existing connector without damaging it isnt going to help your cause.

What is at the stereo end of the wire? Are they hardwired to the back of the stereo or a similar plug? If the former have you looked inside to see how they are connected up?

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,133
    Best Answer
    The look like a variation of MOLEX connectors, but are proprietary to your application.

molex connector - Google Search

Unfortunately we can see the wires. Likely one of the wires is marked or it used two different color wires. If they are red and black, then Red is the PLUS wire. However, if one of the wires has a Stripe, then it is hard to say if that is the Plus or the Minus.

If you cut the speaker connectors off the cable, and if one of the wires is marked, it doesn't matter if you use the marked wire as Plus or Minus, as long as you are consistent. As long as the Marked wire is ALWAYS connect to Red or it ALWAYS connected to Black.

Steve/bluewizard

10. MartinGH1369

MartinGH1369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The end you see in the picture is the end that joins to the stereo. The stereo itself has the female connector to the male connector that I pictured. I have included a picture of the female end.

I have managed to remove the white block connector with no trouble, simply inserted a screw driver into a little hole in the block and the wire slid out.

If I try to remove the crimped on metal connector it will split, the crimped part is very thin. This is why I wanted replacement metal bits.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  11. MartinGH1369

MartinGH1369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thank you.
    Knowing that they're called Molex connectors has allowed me to buy the little metal pins that I need. Nice one :thumbsup:

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

12. MartinGH1369

MartinGH1369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    That's the problem though, if someone said to me that the wires had been cut and soldered, I wouldn't want to buy it. The plastic box slides on and off the wire with a bit of manipulation of the metal tag that holds the pin in the block.
    Turns out that they're called Molex connectors, I have now purchased the pins I needed and when they arrive I'll crimp them onto the cable and I won't have to back the old speakers to bits.

Thank you for taking the time to answer