1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What connections to use?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by paul738, May 9, 2005.

1. paul738

paul738
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I apologise for my total ignorance, I am pretty much new to home cinema and im sure this question will land me in the 'dunce' catergory but here goes anyway:

on the back of my dvd player i have 4 different 'outs' to connect to my amplifier. digital, coaxial, video and the normal red and white.

which should i be using? all of them? just one? what is the differance in the connections?

as i said i apologise for the basic-ness of this question but the manual isn very clear at all.

thankyou very much for any advice!

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    One connection would be sufficient. Note that red and white make a pair (analog audio right and left) while optical and coaxial (both are digital) are alternatives to each other.

If you have an AV amp/AV receiver you want to use one of the digital connections (optical or coaxial) since they not only transfer stereo but also surround sound (DD/DTS). Which one to use depends on the connectivity of you AV amp/receiver; there should be no audible difference between the two.
    (Well, subject to debate -> see other threads on the topic in this forum)

If you have a stereo amp use the red and white connections (connect to any free input except phono, e.g. AUX) by means of a normal audio interconnect.