1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What connections etc to transfer footage onto PC ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Merlin, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Complete newbie at this and seeking appropriate guidance (idiot proof ) from some kind soul who remembers what it was like !
    Approaching I hope my goal of being able to convert S-VHS, VHS, Betamax and Hi8 footage from VCR/camcorder onto DVD.

MY SETUP:-
    I have Pentium 3.2Ghz 2Gb ram Pc with WinXPhome, with Plextor DVD writer and Teac DVD reader. 20Gb partition for video creation on 2nd HD.
    Geforce FX5950 ultra with Svideo in socket
    Audigy2 Platinum with choice of red/white phono in, or firewire in
    Also a WinTVgo by Hauppauge model 607 (yellow video phono sckt and 3.5mm jplug sound in and out)

Software I have is Adobe Premiere 6.5

VCR is an S-VHS model with Svideo out sckt, also scart out and obviously coax out. (and inputs phonos yel/red/white and also Svideo on front)

I gather that the best way to convert Hi8 analog to digital is to borrow a Hi8 camcorder (mine's dead) and plumb it into the MiniDV Panasonic MX8 I have which does the conversion 'on the fly'.
    This MX8 has :-
    a 3.5mm sckt called AVin/out Phones.
    Another called D.Still Picture.
    An Svideo in/out.
    An 8 pin square with rounded side sckt called Digital (to USB)/EDIT(mini) ( I use to plumb into usb PC and transfer stills from camcorder)
    A square sckt called DV which takes a firewire lead.

MY QUESTIONS:
    Just what do I do to convert the aforementioned footage and record it as high quality onto DVD ?
    ...and how best to plumb in the VCR and the camcorders

Also wondering if for camcorder footage I am best to use the firewire and phono red/white just on the Audigy ? (no firewire on the Motherboard oddly enough (its an MSI 875p neo). Does Firewire in fact transfer sound as well (yes I am a newbie at this but a master at photoshop and graphics ! ).

What do I select in Adobe Premiere to start recording, do I indicate sound and video input sources within it, does it suss the sources itself...and whats best format for quality footage capture for later editing ?

Can I use PC as a VCR as the Hauppauge receives TV in theory ! When I manage to get an aerial plumbed into it, it should tune into cable and Antenna. Bit disillusioned at moment though as got nowhere through plumbing VCR into it with coax, scanning found no signal. Tried test signal and footage, perhaps need scart to yellow phono ??...many hours wasted.

Over to you please as confused.

Merlin

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Bl00dy hell Merlin, that has got to be a world record for number of questions in a single post :rotfl:

Oh well lets see what we can do for you.

Connecting the analogue camcorders to the PC is easy for you as you have all the required connections already onboard.
    If the camcorder has an S-Video socket then use S-Video to S-Video. You will need to connect red & white phono lead to get the sound onto the PC as S-Video doesn't carry it.
    Use the same connections for the S-VHS VCR. You could use a scart to S-Vid plus phono, but thats an extra lead to buy, so not worth it.
    You can connect these leads to any of the inputs that they will fit in on the PC.

To get the video captured via a Sony Digital8 camcorder just use the firewire connection directly to the PC as this will make life a lot easier. Firewire does carry both video and sound.

From Premiere you can go into the settings for capture and all the devices on the PC that can capture should be listed there.
    Everything you capture should be as AVI files for later editing. Be aware that Premiere is a very complicated prog to get to grips with, but very powerful once you have.

Once you have done the editing in Premiere you need to 'author' the footage to get it into a compressed format that can be put onto a DVD. You might well have got bundled software with Premiere 6.5 to do this, otherwise you will need to buy another bit of software to do it all. I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 that can be bought for around £25 online. It can be downloaded as a free 30 day trial from www.ulead.com and will convert the footage to MPEG-2, add menus and chapters before burning the final DVD.

Be aware that your stated 20Gb of free disk space is very unlikely to be enough to do all you require. When capturing AVI files you will be useing 1Gb of space for every 4 minutes captured :eek: and thats approx 14Gb per hour. You then need more space for editing and file conversion etc. I recommend having at least 30Gb of space per hour of footage you want to work on. If the disk starts to get full you will end up with dropped frames and therefore jerky on playback. It is also a good idea to have a dedicated capture drive just for the footage with NO progs installed on it. Also get the free download of EndItAll (do an internet search for it or PM me with your e-mail addy and I'll send it to you). This prog stops all unwanted background progs that also helps prevent dropped frames. Also stop screen savers and disable power management.

Well I think I've just about covered everything. If I've missed anything then :rtfm: as I'm now in real need of a :beer: but as I'm stuck at work that'll have to wait until Tuesday :censored:

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Oh, I've just thought to say that you might get more answers to video editing questions if you post them in the 'Camcorders and video editing' forum - Just a thought :thumbsup:

4. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MarkE19
    Thanks V much for the reply, truly apreciate it, life before forums was hell !
    Lots to suss at the start so hence the questions !
    I am clear now on VCR to PC, and camcorder to PC, though not sure how I plumb Hi8 camcorder into MiniDV one to transmit pic and sound (it will be a borrowed Sony Hi8 V1000 shoulder job), I can firewire the MiniDV onto the PC.
    Hope the WinTVgo card sees TV, puzzled why it didnt see VCR via coax cable though, where should I post to suss how to use PC as VCR ?

I have a separate HD with no progs, and two unused partitions videomake 20Gb and VideoFile 53Gb. perhaps rename them to 20Gb VideoFile (for writing to DVD) and 53Gb videomake ?

Merlin

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi Merlin.

Right you probably want to connect the Hi8 camcorder directly to the PC with the same connections as for the others. There is often no advantage of going through another DV cam when you already have the inputs on the PC. Also you would need a DV cam that has DV-in and AV-in. Many DV-in cams do not have AV-in, so there is a fair chance you wouldn't even be able to go this route. If it does have AV-in then it might be worth trying the following to see if you get better quality than useing the analogue ports on the PC. You could also go that way for the VCR if quality is better. This might also help as the DV cam does the analogue to digital conversion, taking the load off the PC.
    Connect the analogue leads from Hi8 cam to DV cam. Connect firewire lead from DV to PC. Put DV cam into VCR mode and press play on Hi8. You should see the Hi8 picture on the screen of the DV. Capture on PC as if capturing directly from the DV camcorder. Some DV cams will convert on the fly (no tape required) and others will only work if recording to a DV tape.

I would guess (and it is only a guess as I have never used it) that the WinTVgo card did not see the VCR because it was not tuned to the VCR's RF channel. Either try tuning the card to the RF channel of the VCR or connect the VCR via the composite leads rather than RF, which should give a slightly better quality picture.
    If you need further help with the WinTVgo I would suggest asking in this forum, but in a separate thread as the length of your first one might have put people off who know about WinTVgo but not video editing.

Hope this has helped,
    Mark.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    IMHO you would be better having all your video files on a single partition. 1 80Gb partition should be easier than a 20Gb & 53Gb. This way you can set up folders for each project and then everything will be together. This is just my opinion and is the way I do things as it saves me searching all over the place looking for files when I forget to tell the software where to save it output.

Mark.