What connections do I need?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Tracey, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering buying a plasma, but I'm a complete novice and know nothing at all about them (I have deliberately avoided them in the past to stop me wanting one). At the moment I have a Loewe Aconda 32", my questions are:

Do I need a plasma with RGB Scart connections, some only have S-Video which I've heard is worse, I want to get the best picture I can with my Arcam FMJ DV27 which is cthe best connection?

I want to connect a DVD recorder, DVD player, STB, and PS2 if possible, are there plasmas with enough connections?

Would a 32" plasma be worth getting, or should I get a 42" to get a big improvement on my Aconda?

Do I need a tuner if I'm going to have a Sky digibox anyway?

Is it better to get a plasma without built in speakers? sometimes I quite like just having the tv on without my av equipment on too.

And last but not least, realsitically, how much would I need to pay for a good plasma that will give the best picture, without going mad. I was hoping not to spend more than £2,500, if possible.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Not an easy choice. You have progressive scan component from the DVD, you should use this without doubt. You could get a Hitachi PMA400 for 2.5k, it's not a progressive display so a bit of a waste giving it a progressive signal, it will make almost no difference. All the 32" screens are similar. The cheapest worthwhile progressive display is the Panasonic PW6, about £3k. There are loads of connection threads about them, a scart board is a possibility as you can set the VGA port to accept component video from the DVD, but better is to use a component video board, and a JS RGB-VGA converter for RGB scart, unless your AV amp supports component video switching, in which case use a RGB-YUV converter, or even more than 1 if it suits better, and switch sources with the amp.

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info, that's very helpful, obviously as you say it would be a waste not to use the prog scan, in fact that was one of the reasons I got the DV27, I was already thinking about plasma then, when the cheapest screen was about £6k! I think my processor has pretty much all the connections I'd need.