1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What connections do I need on a new Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stampax, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Am currently still investigating and trying to get my head around the world of plasma TV's - so much to learn, escpecially the way the regulars on here themslevs cant seem to decide which is/isnt a good plasma, what is/isn't HD ready, etc.......
    Anyway, the thing that cocnerns me at the moment is when i decide upon the plasma i want (if i ever do!!!!) what connections do i need to make sure it has? I'm not too clued up about wires and that i must admit, from what i know the best way of connecting things is by scart, and there are different levels of scart - rgb being the best?
    I have a DVD player, PC, Sky +, and amp that all need to connect to the plasma - so what connections do i need to make sure it has?
    If anyone can give me a run down on connections (or point me to a good link)/correct anything i've said that is wrong (or total rubbish!!)/ or offer any advice then it will be much appreciated.
    Finally - for the TV to be HD ready, am I right in thinking it needs a new special socket - a HDMI or soemthing?
    I looked at some plasmas yesterday and saw they had a VGA and/or DVI connections - what are these for?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Right, so DVI and HDMI are just as good as each other then? Both are just as good for recieving HD signals? I assume the fact that HDMI has the benefit or recieving digital sound is irelevant as i use an amp and seperate speakers for sound?
    Do basic DVD players nowadays connect using these two things and thus prouce a better pictyure? Or will only HD players do this?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you can get basic DVD with HDMI but IMO its a waste of time you only get 1 DVi/HDMI normally so why waste on DVD when component will look better**?

** unless you a pioneer FDE/XDE plasma

5. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Why will component look better? I thought HDMI/DVI was the best way of connecting?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    why is HDMI/DVi best?

7. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    wELL the link you sent me to lists the connections from bestto wort - and HDMI/DVI are at the top. Im not trying to be argumenttative, just to understand!!!!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the link is sort of correct but ideally RGBHV and Component would be on a level HDMI DVi are very new and the video processing lets them down manufacturers have a lot more experince with analogue signals the PUSH on HDMI is for content protection not quality and while 5 years time HDMI will be superior (and it is on paper) at the moment the best PQ is not necassaryily from HDMI
    HDMI does not equual good PQ
    High quality source and video processing coupled to a high perfermance display gives the best (most accurate) picture