1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What connecters do I need

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mike.jones, Jan 21, 2005.

1. mike.jones

mike.jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if any LG owners or knowlegable members can advise me which cables I need to connect my (shortly to be delivered) LG RZ42PX11 to a Sky box (not Sky +) & my DVD player?
    The DVD has progressive scan, not sure what it does though.

I have read descriptons of scart to phono, S-Video, RGBS,RGBHV,Component,
    & DVi, unfortunatly it's all beyond me! So to avoid me frying my brain could someone give me some advice. My criteria is;
    a good picture & sound, not a lot of cash eg: I don't have £40 a lead budget, I intend to add a 5.1 system at a later date.
    These are the DVD connections:
    5.1 channel analog Audio Output
    Composite video output
    S- video output
    Component video output
    Digital audio (Co axial) output
    Digital audio (optical) output
    Scart output

Any help would be realy great. :lease:

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Sorry I dont have any experience with your plasma or any plasma for that matter but in the absence of any other replies I'll tell you what I would do :)

As you dont have an external amp/receiver at the moment for audio, you'll need to use the LG's built in speakers, that being the case I'd simply hook up both the Sky box and DVD via fully wired rgb scart cables.

Once you get an external receiver and speakers you'll benefit from connecting the dvd via component cables to the plasma, however component is video only so for audio you'll need to connect to the receiver via coaxial or optical the choice is yours and use stereo rca cables from the plasma's audio out to the receiver.

I'm sure someone else will chip in with other alternatives but thats what I would do.

Hope that helps.

3. mike.jones

mike.jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zone, Thanks for the info.
    Hopefully another LG PX11 owner will advise.

4. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    No problem Mike, perhaps ask your question in the plasma forum where you may have more success, people only come to this forum when they have a particular query where as people browse the Plasma forum regularly and someone may have already had the same dilemma.

Good luck :)