• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What comes in the box with SKY HD?????

Twan1

Banned
Hiya all, just curious to know what actually comes in the box with sky hd so i know what i need to buy before hand??

I've looked on their site but it doesn't say.

i.e do you get an optical digital lead?? if so is that what you guys have been using??

Thanks.

Anton

J Roadley

Established Member
The SKY HD box, remote control + batteries, HDMI Cable, thats it I think...

You'll need your own optical lead.

Also, some sky engineers may have component cables on them...

Twan1

Banned
nice one j roadley, i best be buying an optical lead then me thinks!! is it the usual coonection type? i think its called toslink?

mmace

Established Member
yes, toslink is correct

you will also need an HD Ready TV to view the HD channels in HD (you never know how silly some people are so I'm just covering the bases!):D

darrenjuggins

Established Member
The Optical Cable (Toslink) is purely for Sound and will connect up with most Dolby Digital 5.1 Amps, this isn't a new feture and has been on the all Sky + models.

It is not essential to you viewing sky, but is obviously there as an enhancement if you have the right equipment to make use of it.

As for the HDMI lead, this is included so you can enjoy HD TV from the Sky HD box, if you have a suitable HD Ready TV.

The Component Leads mentioned (but not included) are for people with TV, which have the component inputs, but dont have a HDMI connection, or have already used it up with a DVD player or similar.

Hope this clarifies things

Cheers
Darren J

Twan1

Banned
thanks guys, im gonna buy a new hdmi-dvi lead and also a new optical lead so i should be rockin and rollin!!! (well on the 26th aug as thats my install date! :) )

C

charlie44

I thought that HDMI carried both Picture and Sound, in which case why would you need an optical connection as well?

W

wensleydale

charlie44 said:
I thought that HDMI carried both Picture and Sound, in which case why would you need an optical connection as well?

because the optical lead goes to your amp, the HDMI to your tv. If you don't use an amp and just have sound coming from your tv's speakers then yes you would only need the HDMI lead.

MarkyB

Standard Member
The Sky HD box doesn't output DD5.1 on the HDMI connection so you need to use the optical lead if you want to get this.

mark800

Distinguished Member
Twan1 said:
thanks guys, im gonna buy a new hdmi-dvi lead and also a new optical lead so i should be rockin and rollin!!! (well on the 26th aug as thats my install date! :) )

I recommend you call Sky to see if you can have an earlier install date. Looks like Sky has got a lot of HD boxes now and people phoning up have got their dates brought forward by many weeks.

Twan1

Banned
hi Mark, yeah i must admit i might give them a call 2moro, just to see if thats poss though i'm at a slight disadvantage as it have to be a saturady (also need to find the money to but my hdmi-dvi lead too ;) )

spragger

Standard Member
I have a date for 25 August so sounds like a call is worth it

Wanted it up for the start of footie season

Is the Sky supplied HDMI cable up to it? I have the connections on my panny PX60?
I heard its not worth upgrading cable because its digital. Is that correct?

spragger

Standard Member
They offered 23/8 but no one in

25/8 is ominous as its the Friiday before the bank Hol! I had hoped to see the Boro on HD on the bank hol Monday

I should remain optimistic!

Any views on this HDMI cable?

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
spragger said:
They offered 23/8 but no one in

25/8 is ominous as its the Friiday before the bank Hol! I had hoped to see the Boro on HD on the bank hol Monday

I should remain optimistic!

Any views on this HDMI cable?
I've just had SkyHD fitted on Thursday and also researched the question around the HDMI lead.

When SkyHD was first out, I remember a poll asking whether the HDMI lead was OK or would it be replaced and the overall opinion lent in the way of the lead in the box supplied by Sky is perfectly fine.

No need to change it then and it looks superb to me!

Good luck.

Twan1

Banned
I got 3 dv/hdmi cables on my current set up and i must admit i've always gone for Better Cables Display Magic II. I've never done a side by side comparison but the quality as far as i can tell has always been excellent! They seem to retail at about £55 each but considering the amount we all tend to spend on our setups i just couldn't bring myself to cut corners at the end..

loz

Distinguished Member
Abbeygoo said:
I've just had SkyHD fitted on Thursday and also researched the question around the HDMI lead.

When SkyHD was first out, I remember a poll asking whether the HDMI lead was OK or would it be replaced and the overall opinion lent in the way of the lead in the box supplied by Sky is perfectly fine.

No need to change it then and it looks superb to me!

If the Sky HDMI cable works - i.e. no errors or noticable artefacts in the picture - then changing the cable to a more expensive one will not improve the PQ.

gilburton

Standard Member
I bought a dvi/hdmi lead as my tv is dvi only but I found the engineer had dvi/hdmi adapters anyway(I presume I would have had to buy one from him) but because I have to select the PC input on the tv I couldn't get any sound(despite buying component audio leads)The problem was solved temporarily as he connected it all through component(using leads from his van at no charge)until I purchased a component/jack cable which is standard 3.5mm

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom