1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what colours show up when your Tv needs degauzing ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by the.jackall, Apr 20, 2004.

1. the.jackall

the.jackall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony tv has suddenly developed a a pinkish vertical line which is very noticable on White or light backgrounds on the left handside of the screen about 1 inch thick, I was wondering if its anything to do with my Technics speakers which i recently moved (as you do ! ) to get the best sound,but I thought they would be shielded.
    Does anyone have any other ides to clear it ?
    Can you do it from the service menu ?

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    It should self degauss each time you start up. I've not had a line before usually its more like a stain and in my case bluish. And that was after I moved a speaker across the front. If it is the speakers try moving them much farther away and see if it goes away after your next switch on. All speakers are not shielded and even if they are supposed to be some are better than others

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Usually purity faults caused by unwanted magnetic fields produce a blotch (not a line) , typically magenta / pinkish.

Self degaussing requires you to trun off at the mains and let the TV cool down fully - a thermistor or similar has to cool down before degaussing will activate.
    You should hear a thump when you switch the mains back onto the television , indicating that degaussing has taken place.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

4. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the tv i rented was supposed to do it itself, it had pink triangles in each corner. However it never sorted itself out so got engineers out and the ran this special metal thing over it and sorted it out immedietly. They just told me to make sure leave speakers away from the tv, I thought they were shielded but obviously not, although it never harmed my home tv, maybe just rubbish tv!

5. the.jackall

the.jackall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had the Transformer and the Transender changed as well as several modules which had blown when the transformer went,im wondering if my sudden pink is something to with that ?
    Ive moved the speakers,switched off at the mains and no change.